Photoshop speed on Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clintob, Oct 18, 2006.

1. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

I'm sure there are a few threads on this already, but I wanted to get some up-to-date information from those who've been down the road for a few months now.

I've been dragging my feet making the switch to Intel because I spent about 90% of my day in Photoshop. I was going to wait until the UB version came out, but since that doesn't appear likely for another 6 months, I'm considering taking the plunge early.

That said... is there anyone who uses Photoshop extensively who can shed some light on how it runs under Rosetta? I do quite a bit of layout work for the web, some print-res stuff, and a bunch of photo manipulation and retouching. How will the speed of Photoshop on, say, a MacBook Pro w/ 2GB or RAM compare to my current setup (Dual 2.5 G5, 4GB RAM)? Will I notice a marked slowdown?

Also, will working on a MacPro or a C2D iMac improve the speed of Photoshop under Rosetta, or is it pretty much bottlenecked by the translation such that the faster machine wont really make a difference?

Any input would be great! Thanks...

2. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Dont Do it!!!, just wait, dual 2.5 beats macpro easily using any adobe product. Have both machines at work and the slowdown is noticeable, especially for the high res stuff. Besides the slow there are sudden crashes. Quark 6 is also a little slower. Althought the mac pro is super fast in pretty much anything else.

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm using GIMPShop, because at least that is UB.