Photoshop/tiff question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rogerw, Mar 15, 2005.

1. rogerw macrumors 6502

new to this so please bear with me

ive got to do some artwork for a yellow pages ad and to save myself 50 squid id thought ill do this myself. The lady (at yell) said that that they need some artwork in a tif/jpeg file at 600dpi (CYMK, i set it to this because i think this is correct for printing).

Ive set this all up and done the artwork, flattened the layers. I saved it as a tif file save to my desktop. When I open the image to admire it, it automatically opens p/shop.
    Is this correct or how can i set it up just to open (preview) or if I burn to a disc and send it will all be ok?

Any assistance appreciated.

or am I completely out of my depth?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, you have it sorted.

The TIFF is opening in Photoshop simply because its file type is associated with Photoshop on your machine.

Just make sure that the filename ends in .TIF and doesn't have any punctuation in it other than that period, then just burn it and send it off.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

thats fine, it is set to open in ps default, right click on it and say open with then go to safari or preview and check it out. it should be ok.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

For Yellow Pages, no need to use CMYK as it's printed in mono (black ink) anyway. Just convert it to 8-bit greyscale.

There are some ads that have a white ink underlaid beneath the black plate to make them stand out -- I take it you're not having one of these, right?

Don't use LZW compression on your Tiff -- for most purposes it's OK but god knows what software they use to produce the Yellow pages so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Always, but always send a hard (printed) copy of the artwork so they can see what it should look like. A laser run-out should be fine...

Don't worry what the tiff opens up with on your machine, it'll be fine at the other end.

Burn the CD so it's compatible with Macs & PCs, stuff the printed copy with your contact details and the ad booking reference (if any) in a padded envelope and post by special delivery.

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

600 dpi seems like overkill for either CMYK or greyscale. I'd bet they're looking for a bitmapped tiff...

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Get the specs from your printer. Many YP ads are now four color.

All YP are printed on white paper. The "Yellow Paper" comes from lots of yellow ink. There's no such thing as a white ink underlay in coldset printing (for YPs) - in packaging, yes, but not in this kind of printing.

Depending on the company (we print YP in UK), they will be using a fairly advanced system to produce the final pages to go to press. I wouldn't worry too much about their ability to process the TIFF files. But it is important to send a proof!

7. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the replys, looks like im nearly there.

BV i did think about the grayscale setting but you can have full colour ads in yell now (or certainly some colour) or the white background thingy (and /or yellow, Ive got a couple of days to decide which and I suppose i can change the setting accordingly.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Probably not bitmapped TIFF, but generally resolution should be ~2x the line screen. In YP, they're probably not printing more than 133 to 150 lpi, which means 300dpi would be plenty.

Of course, if they're printing stochastic, then 300dpi is still a good bet.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The classifieds in the UK Yellow Pages hold a coarse half-tone so greyscale would be OK.

If it's got 7-12pt type in it then a 600 ppi tiff would be OK with the dot-gain that occurs on such porous and thin stock.

10. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

Ta, ill check, but im sure it was tif or jpeg (nothing else)

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I didn't think about converting text to raster data. In that case, 600 would be a minimum.

12. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

what about larger type (font) and bold?

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

1200-2400 ppi in my ideal world :) :cool:

14. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

piece of cake this design + printing lark!!!!!

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That'll be OK. It's just that if you have some small type, you want it to remain sharp hence the minimum stipulation of 600 ppi...

What they're trying to avoid is the 'jaggies'. :)

16. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

After a curious look at a copy of the YP...

God, you're right! Colour!

That just shows how long it's been since I looked at the Yellow Pages. Always use the online version now... :)

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I hear the next big thing is to add pop-up ads into the printed version ;)

19. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

They tried to flog me some of that also (online), heard of it but have never used it, always used the printed version. Same goes for other catalogues, just prefer to thumb the pages. dunno why.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

As someone who works for a printer, I can appreciate that! :D

21. Eastend macrumors 6502

It's a print shop doing the printing on the Yellow Pages and almost all print shops automatically say 600 dpi minimum, we do it too. You should not have any trouble.

Brian