Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ejb190, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I need to get a decent photo editing program on my Powerbook. I am currently using Photoshop 4.0 on my old Wallstreet, but would like to move everything to OS X and my new machine (transfering files all over the place is getting old).

My question is this: For general picture work like scanning, color adjustment, cropping, and some light masking and image enhancment, do I need Photoshop or can I get by with Elements? What features are missing from Elements that I might wish I had later on.

I don't mind the extra cost (educational discount really helps), but I would be one step closer to that external firewire HD I could really use... :)
  2. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    I've only dealt with ver 1, but the only thing I really missed was CMYK support and some selection utilities like the color range. If all you do is photo editing, I can't see much reason to get the full package.
  3. dufus macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2003
    For what you described, there's no way I'd spend all the extra money for Photoshop. Elements has plenty of power for most tasks.
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i had photshop 5 on my pc and when is witched i bought elemnets 2.0 and i'm really happy with it but i'm not a very advanced user
  5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001

I'm not an advanced user and I use Photoshop Elements 2.0, I find the program more than adequate.
  6. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    calgary, ab canada
    provided you have a licensed version of the earlier version of photoshop the upgrade price to photoshop 7 is about the same cost as buying elements. why not go for the full package if it's nearly the same cost.
  7. ejb190 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks folks!

I read through the stuff on Adobe's web page, but I just wasn't sure how functional Elements is. It looks like a good option for what I do. (iPhoto just doesn't cut it ;) )

The upgrade is a good idea. I'll have to look into that.

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Can one do drawing in Photoshop Elements? I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive, usable program that'll let me doodle with my Graphire 2. I'm going to sit down with the GIMP one of these days, too, but Linux so far has been more of a pain than the CD's were worth.
  9. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Elements has about 80% of the functionality of Photoshop, plus some features Photoshop doesn't, like a red-eye removal tool.

I think it's pretty nifty. I use Photoshop every single day because of my job, but I think elements is a terrific alternative. Plus, you can get it for $50 afte rebate, which is super cheap (less than upgrading).