PHPBB vs. vBulletin

Discussion in 'Community' started by icetraxxg5, Feb 18, 2003.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I would be very interested in hearing what kind of messageboard people prefer, PHPBB2 or vBulletin. I really don't know which one I like better myself, but PHPBB is free.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

vBulletin is better, bt PHPBB is free, so I would use it. ;)

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Do you mean, what do we think looks better? If so, I think that they both look good.

How much does vBulletin cost? Anyone know?

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

160 or 85, depending on what you need.... arn is prolly paying for the more expensive license. though so many people visit the board, he prolly pays a few hundred per month in bandwidth too.... so the price of maintaining the community is much more

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

seems to me vbulletin has had more development and is more robust. but that's probably why you have to pay...

pnw

6. charboneau macrumors member

A friend of mine uses Ultimate Bulletin Board and I haven't heard any complaints about it. I'm not sure of the price, $200 maybe.

7. dricci macrumors 6502a

UBB was the (non-freeware) leader for a while, but vBulletin has surpased it. vB is supposed to be really nice, but that niceness comes with a price tag.

phpBB is probably the best _free_ solution at the moment. I'm using phpBB 2 on the next revision of PCtoMac.com, and it's very mod and customizable, enabling me to do some really nifty things.

If you have money to burn on your site, go with vBulletin. If you want a good, free alternative, check out phpBB. I'd stay away from UBB these days, and also avoid flat-file boards like YaBB.

Either way you go, all major forum softwares have database converters so you can keep your members, forums, and posts if you ever decide to "switch" to different forum software.