Phpmyadmin & mamp problem

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cool11, Apr 23, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

I have made an installation of MAMP web server in my mac.
    The problem is that I cannot import any compressed database, in filename.sql.zip format, using MAMP's phpmyadmin.

It does not display any error, but it doesn't import it too.
    Where the problem lies?

2. macrumors newbie

Try unzipping the .sql file and importing that.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

This is not the point.
    I can do it this way. But I want to bypass it.
    My installation has a 32mb limit size liti of importing databases. Everyone with a Mamp installation should know it.
    My database is 30mb large right now. Compressed is about 6mb!
    So, if I can import it as compressed database, then I can manage my database for ages!
    If I had to import it uncompressed, in a few months I could not do it anymore.

So, I need to make importing with compressed file.

4. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Go to http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/downloads.php and download the latest, install as you'd install any new site in MAMP into its own docroot, do not attempt to replace the MAMP one with the new one. Configure it with the MAMP database username and password, customize as you see fit, bookmark it for easy access later, done.

Version 3.5.8 is pretty cool.

5. macrumors newbie

Okay, so have you tried editing your php.ini file to increase max_upload_size? You should be able to set this higher and the upload should work.

If you still experience problems, you may also want to look at the max_packet_size and increase this as well.

6. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just pointing out there is nothing wrong with making those changes to support larger upload file size, but trust me that I can't stand waiting for the damned upload followed by processing time to import large DB content via phpMyAdmin. Also, some databases contain binary data or user or map/geo-location information and can be huge so even compressed they might be 60MB for an initial import or merging of multiple DB's, etc. Also, it's convenient to export and zip up so it saves space on your Mac for backup during a project. I know we all have tons of gigs and broadband, but that doesn't remove the benefits of compression. So don't increase those settings TOO much and open up security vulnerabilities as well. Find the balance and use the proper software and you'll have less stress. Been there, done that! :p

(This response was intended mostly for the OP)