Physical difference between 3g and 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rileyb76, Apr 23, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Occassionally I'll see some iphones at pawn shops for sale. I currently have a non-jailbroken and non-unlocked 3G and would love to upgrade to the 3GS until the new iphone gets here this summer. My question is... is there any way to tell the difference physically between a 3G and 3GS? Sometimes, the iphones don't have any battery juice left so I can't tell.

Also, say I did find a 3GS and bought it. Couldn't I just put my SIM from my 3G to a new 3GS and it work instantly, or is the SIM somehow tied to the iphone? And yes, I do pay AT&T for data.

Thanks for the input.

2. macrumors 65816

The only physical difference I could think of is the writing on the back of the iPhone. on the 3G its grey, and on the 3GS its chrome/metallic looking like the Apple logo. Also, the model no in the writing there should give it away too.

As for the sim, just take your existing sim and pop it in the new phone.

3. macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you can turn it on then just look for the 'Compass' app and you'll know you have a 3GS.

If you can't turn it on, there's not many easy ways. A 32 GB phone HAS to be a 3GS, but if it's a 16 that doesn't help you. Someone may be able to tell you what the model numbers on the back mean, but I don't know them. With BOTH of those methods, be careful as it's possible to replace the back so someone could be lying to you if you only read the back.

That's why the compass method is best.

4. macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

in addition to the compass, check the camera to see if it records video or click the home button three times... if it switches to white on black it's a 3GS

5. macrumors 68040

On the 3GS, the text that says "iPhone", "Designed by Apple in California etc..." is reflective, while on the 3G it's just a dull gray.

6. macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah. Shiny text versus gray is the easiest differentiator.

7. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

this feature needs to be enabled.

8. macrumors 603

appleguy123

My 3GS doesn't do this. How do I turn it on?

9. macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Settings, General, Accessibility, Triple Click Option

10. macrumors member

Now that is good to know I had no idea about that thanks :D