Physical Violence

Discussion in 'Community' started by appleguy, Aug 28, 2002.

?

Who inflects Physical Violence to their PC?

1. Never, I have a Mac

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Once a month

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Once a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Once a Day

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Once a hour, I have a WinTel PC

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

Who here some time inflects physical abuse to their computer?

1. Never I have a mac
    2. Once a month
    3. Once a week
    4. Once a day
    5. Once an hour I have a PC
      [/list=1]

2. dnte42 macrumors regular

Not that I haven't wanted to, but the only thing in reach is the LCD...so I usually end up punching the desk (better for the computer, worse for the hands).

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't have a PC to beat up.

Actually, there is one that hasn't been touched/used in ages, but I got it for free. :rolleyes:

Occassionally, though, I'll pound on the keyboards of PCs at HS so I can type correctly. I'll admit, though, I can't type that fast or accurately.

E?éñ?uâll¥, Ï wìll ßé ?¥píñg lîkë ?hís. :D :p

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I never harm my Macs. However like KC I also encounter incompent PCs on a daily basis. I have been known to beat the keyboard or slap the monitor, though mostly out of disgust with Windows 95. Intergraphs running Win95 is the worst combo you can get.

5. job macrumors 68040

job

i always seem to get this sudden urge to break the floppies in my buisness law class. damn dells still use floppies.

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah go figure.... a friend of mine knocks the mac because they dont have floppy drives. a guy that thinks like that doesnt deserve a mac.:D

7. job macrumors 68040

job

lol. :D

i cant stand floppies. and my teacher seems to think they are the greatest.

my english teacher was telling me that we should save our papers on floppies because "sometimes the computers go all wierd and dont work. they wont print or they crash..etc.."

i zoned out after that, but i wanted to tell everyone to get a mac. good grief..."cant print..." :rolleyes: :D

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At the hospital where I used to work, we had these printers which would lose communication with the main system from time to time--error 66.

There were two solutions--a physical wedge to keep the card in alignment and reseating the card. The IBM customer engineer was too lazy to actually order all 50 or so boards and install them, so we would power off the printers and strike them quite hard on the right side. It proved to be quite therapeutic during stressful times.

"Oh, you're having a problem with your printer? It can wait though? No, don't worry, I'll be right over. Wait, we'll all work on it." :D

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this is very funny...i used to hate technology and i would break phones, radios, and electronic gear...i really got off on seeing scattered motherboards...it stems from building many models as a kid and then blowing them up...lots of fun but once i got arrested for that in high school...after the cop enjoed watching up launch p-38 airplane models with estes rocket engines ;)

then i grew up

my wife became a certified microsoft office user then studied computer repair...then i followed suit...and now for a few years, we have had a business working with high tech

i actually like technology now and i get paid to fix broken technology:D

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i usually destroy printers with some mad hip hop kicking in the background

in slow motion

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(hitman) i cant stand floppies. and my teacher seems to think they are the greatest.

Last year a student in the RISE program (err, a community of unique people staying in room 101) was transferring files back and forth from her PC to one of the Dells in our classroom using a floppy. About half the time, the floppy [E]ed up on her. She obviously was irate about it.

Yet nowadays there are CD-RW Dells to go around, but PHHS doesn't have them. I feel for those poor saps, who have to work/save everything on PCs there, or need to bring data back and forth from a PC. :p

12. job macrumors 68040

job

thank you. :D

floppies.....bah!

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

floppies and serial nine pin are really old technologies, but the king daddy of them all is pcmcia developed in the 1980s

could you all say that with me...p c m c i a...and they went kaput and came back

actually, pcmcia is older than half of the posters who visit here regularly

they are the cockroaches of the high tech field...never will die:D ;) :p

14. job macrumors 68040

job

pcmia...

i've heard of that.

although i never really understood what it was...

did'nt it have something to do with laptops...?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I get paid to fix computers, too. I still hate them. Cheap parts. Probably because most of the PCs I see are so messed up. WinTels at least. Although I did have plenty of problems with my Performa 6400. I have Win2000 now on my PC, but it still sux.

Can't wait to get a new Mac.

To King Cobra, how long ago was that? They couldn't use external drives or CD-R/W or something? I had a job like that. Dot Matrix Printer and a DOS database.

And that was last year.

We were so excited when we got CD-R/Ws, a (re:1) scanner, and a laser printer.

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

>To King Cobra, how long ago was that? They couldn't use external drives or CD-R/W or something? I had a job like that. Dot Matrix Printer and a DOS database.

PHHS got a shipment of faster Dells last year (maybe two years ago) and I hear nothing about anyone there using CD-RWs. Every active computer there uses floppies.

I don't go back to class until after Labor Day, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if they updated to Macs, as I tried to suggest last year. :rolleyes: :p

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

most often used in laptops...yes

hey, it still does the job so some feel why change it

they work ok with laptops which don't have 56k modems...just pop in the modem card into the pcmcia slot...plug in the rj-11 phone jack, and you are ready to go...and nearly as fast as an internal modem

but now the vast majority of laptops come with at least a built in 56k modem via a phone line and some laptops now have ethernet so broadband could be used with it...bluetooth is the next major technology, but probably more for mac...short range, really slow, but reliable some say so that's a start

airport 802.11 i heard is good but many claim it does not get a good reception at the advertised 150 ft...especially through walls and floors

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i treat my laptop with great gentleness and i even type really softly

but as a former musician, when i really got into a good rock and roll groove, i worked the hell out of an instrument and dented quite a few in my time

i did not crack guitar necks like hendrix or vai, but i bumped into a lot of things including the hard floor...it's about passion but nowadays, rockers half my age nearly get their bones broken getting into it

i never stage dived since i consider that over the line...i may hurt myself having stepped thru a nail during practice, but i would not want to land on a person in the audience and injure them

once henry rollins got so passionate in a black flag gig that he pummeled and knocked out fellow punker rock star jello biafra by accident...slam and stage diving is not for me, thank you:p