Physically Imparied, Computer Competent

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xsedrinam, Oct 1, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My brother in law is blind (effects of diabetes at age 11, and lost his sight at 29. Kidneys and eyesight want all within the same month. He worked as a staff tech for a university as a mac engineer and teacher and has a degree in audio engineering. Succinctly, he's been through a recent divorce (after 18 years), has had to muddle along with a Dell because of software needs and now, his HD appears to be getting ready to go. Anyone with experience or expertise in this kind of area who could point me to some thinking and pragmatic, proactive steps I could offer this young man would really be appreciated. Suggestions like names and or links and or contacts where he might be able to re-outfit his set and hopefully enjoy at least another decade of some quality life before his time runs out. Thanks to anyone who can help with some insight.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, must have been difficult to meet someone and get married when physically impaired.

Anyway, I don't see why his needs are different from anyone elses hardware needs. Maybe he should get another HD, or a CompaqHP. Any store can give it to him. If he has special software needs, maybe someone else can install it.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Maybe someone could clone his current HD onto a new one before it completely dies. I can only see it taking a few hours at the most. They could do it while he's out somewhere, and SURPRISE! Fixed computer.