Pic of new MacBook design.... [unofficial]

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mogzieee, Apr 7, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I posted the pic on this MacRumors news article, but this thread is all about the piccy.... what do you think of it?

[​IMG]

You'll see that its pretty much the same shape, but look closer. I've darken the casing to make it look like Aluminum... I've redone the Keyboard to match the MBA, and the track pad has been enlarged....

So anyway.... talk!

2. macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Retro...reminiscent of the old titanium powerbooks, with the black keyboards...though i suppose the Air already brought that back

3. macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

That enlarged trackpad idea was taken from the earlier rumors about the Air is it not. The air has the enlarged trackpad now so I think that is what it will stay at. I doubt that the Macbook line will ever have a trackpad like what you are depicting in your mockup.

4. macrumors 6502a

sleepingworker

Not to knock your effort, but I hope the design will be less an homage to the boxy titanium PB and more in line with the MBA.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Personally I thought that too, however, a tonne of people are saying thinks like "awwh in the next decade everything will be touchscreen" and "ooer i bet computers will have more to do with touching these coming days"... etc. I understand i may be on the unlikely side, but maybe Apple will lead the innovation into the semi-touchscreen world

6. macrumors member

Be interesting to see how close you are to the actual re-design. I would think that maybe a more curved look could be used to fit with the MBA, unless Apple choose to keep solid product differentiation.

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Looks like ass with that new black keyboard.

8. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

I'd still touch it.

9. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I wouldn't mind a MB like that (in aluminum) at all, however, that trackpad is TOO BIG. That would just look horrifically ugly in real life, IMHO.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

its just a copy and paste of the macbook air's, merged into place.

Nothing wrong with it....

11. macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Well that's sweet...
    I think the rendering came out a little weird...the white/grey on the keyboard is a different tone from the rest of the body. Try matching the colors a bit, and it might look more seamless.

Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the black keys on the air, but I know lots of people who love em.

12. macrumors member

I'm really not a fan of the Air's key layout. I think the keys are too small and don't have much "pop" to them that both the macbook and the macbook pro have, respectively. I personally hope they don't mess with the keyboards much.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's been some other mock ups made:

JamesWilk
    [​IMG]

WinMacLin
    [​IMG]

Cph901
    [​IMG]

14. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

I like the WinMacLin one. But everyone will cry foul if the new MBP is glossy only. I guarantee you that.

15. macrumors 6502a

sleepingworker

... thinner and tapered is probably more likely. I think the boxy look of the MBP/PB/MB will be gone.

16. macrumors 6502

add LED to the macbook and im sold!

17. macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

While I do like the OP's design, I believe the addition of backlit keys is a bit farfetched. Backlit keys are a feature Apple uses to draw customers over to the Prosumer->Pro side of the spectrum, as SuperDrives and other features have been over the years.

I do like the second MBP down on that later post. I would drool if that was the new design. Brilliant.

18. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I didn't mean the rendering looked like ass. I meant the keyboard. Sorry but that was not really directed towards the artist.

19. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It looks like a MBA that needs to go on a "diet." :p

20. macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

No worries! I'm in agreement with you on that :)

21. macrumors 6502

Black?

I like the second and third pix! Think black will be pro only, or macbook too, bc i want the black-when i have money, but i cant get the pro, way too much $ what do you think?

22. macrumors 6502a

sleepingworker

It will happen. Apple is trying to go more "green" (or as much as one can being a technology company).

23. macrumors member

Backlit keys have never been an available feature on Apple's lower end products. It would certainly be a drastic change. I think the Macbook and Apple Keyboard will share the white keys while MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will share the black backlit keyboard.

2GB RAM and SuperDrive standard need to happen on the next revision.

Multi-touch is likely happen, but may occur a little later. IMO, an LED-backlit display would be preferable over a backlit keyboard or multi-touch.

24. macrumors 604

gkarris

The Al MacBook will probably look like the MBA, but with a thicker bottom... :eek:

25. macrumors 65816

the track pad looks stupid i dont like that