Picked up my new 12.1 BP w/SD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by starstreak, Dec 8, 2004.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm new to Apple. I needed one just to work on for work. (Doing troublshooting for broadband connection) But I desided to spend a bit more and get something useful. Which is why I went with the PB and the SDrive. I upped the ram by another 512mb. I hope this is enough to run my WOW. I wanted something I could play while on break. I haven't installed it yet as the laptop is charging.
    The only thing I hate on this unit so far is the screen. Its the worst display I've seen on a notebook in years. For such a small screen the field of view is very narrow. so much so that if you move your head just a little off center, that's enough to make a white color screen look like is fading from white to grey. And its dim. I bet while Apple may not release a G5 for a few months, I bet they'll release a unit with something like a "Xtra brite" screen like that found on Sony laptops. *Please dont do that for two months. heh*

Tell me guys I made the right choice.
  2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Well, the newest Sony 13" portable p**ses all over the 12" Powerbook... 2GHz P-M, Mobility radeon 9700, 1280*800 resolution. But it's a PC.

I like my 12" PB rev C, but I'm really hoping Apple pulls it's socks up on the next revision. 2GHz, man! 2GHz!!
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Actually, I find my PowerBook's screen to be one of the better screens compared to some of the laptop screen that I have seen, especially at lower brightness settings. F1 and F2 turn down and up the brightness, respectively.

Welcome to the light side of computing.

You will love your computer, trust us. I love mine... :cool:
  4. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 5, 2004
    Once I load World of Warcraft and plays decent, I'll be happy. I know it'll do good for work. Pretty much just need it to troubleshoot connection issues.
  5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    Spend some time configuring the display in (funnily enough) the display colour calibration settings. I was initially diappointed with the screen, but then changed the defaults and got it to what I consider the optimum settings for me (its very subjective, and I'm sure won't be the same for two people) I think it is now a good display..... by the Sony screens are the best on ANY laptop IMO. Still didn't make me want to by one though :D