Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyPB&Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
I am picking my BTO "15 1.125ghz powerbook with combo drive tomorrow and I was wondering if I have to charge it before I can turn it on? If so, how long will I have to wait for it to charge so I can start up? Thanks for the help.

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
When you first get a laptop, it is recommended to run the battery through a calibration cycle (it's somewhere in the manual for the powerbook). Doing so helps the power management circuitry better understand the capacity of the battery.

Here's a related thread from the Apple discussion board:
THEORY on capacity (Ah), calibration, etc

Out of curiosity, what BTO options did you go for? I've been waiting 32 days so far because of the BTO 5400 rpm drives...

MyPB&Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
I ordered 10/20 with an eta of 11/10 but then I got a delay and they said december 1st at the earliest. The non friday I got an email that it had shipped. I a combo drive and a 60 gig harddrive. I would have been fine wit hthe 1.0ghs but since I needed airport extreme, atleast 512 of ram and I wouldn't mind a backlit keyboard, I get the 1.25ghz pb. It was actually less money then had I built the 1ghz the sameway. Good luck with getting your pb soon. I will give a ull report tomorrow on quality.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
My TiBook came with about a 75% charge. And you should run that all the way down till the computer puts itself to sleep. Then charge it all the way back to 100% (or 99% which is what i shows most of the time for a full charge).

MyPB&Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Originally posted by Counterfit
Make sure you charge it all the way before you run it down. Then after calibrating, replace it in the box, and send it to me.

Nice try. hehe I will remember to do that, I will give a full report soon. I've only got an hour and 40 minutes till total bliss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.