Picking up the iMac 20" today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by About2SwitchOvr, Mar 22, 2004.

1. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

Hey guys.. I have always been a PC user, and am going to pick up my first ever Mac today. I decided on the iMac 20" today... at the store...
    I'm planning on upgrading it to the 768 DDR and picking up the wireless board and mouse. I believe that I'll settle on the D-Link bluetooth adapter because the store doesn't offer internal bluetooth drives. (correct?). Anything else I should be weary about? I saw the thread on the 2 button mouse, which looks GREAT!, but was thinking of holding off on that till the bluetooth one comes out.
    The only other concern is hooking up my PDA. I just picked up a Sony Clie TJ27.. and it doesn't seem as if it is compatible (w/o purchasing the extra software/hardware). Does anyone suggest any other brands of PDA that DO work seamlessly with the macs?

Furthermore, I'd like to thank everyone for their input on their experiences on this forum. It has made my decision much less painful...
    Thanks in advance!

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Before there are 100 responses saying that you should have waited for the G5 iMac, let me be the first to say... congratulations! The 20" iMac is a very nice home computer and should serve you well for a number of years (I'm typing this reply on my 3 year old G3 Powerbook).

Take a look at David Pogue's book, 'OS X: THE MISSING MANUAL.' It will really help make your switch from Windows to OS X much smoother.

Have fun.

3. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick reply... I was THINKING of waiting for the g5, but honestly, it's just the cool factor of the iMac. I'm not really a power user, by any means... I'm an PT student, and a working professional.. I'm really excited to be picking this baby up today. Also, they JUST got a shipment of iPods as well. It's like Christmas in Spring! :)

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Congrats. As a holdout for new PowerMacs, I'm jealous whenever anyone gets a new machine. I'm sure you'll love it, the iMac's are very cool, especially with that big screen.

Bluetooth mice - don't hold you're breath for a 2-button Apple mouse. There are nice 2-button bluetooth mice available. I have one from Microsoft which works well. I believe there are also offerings from others (Belkin perhaps? or Logitech).

PDA - Sony won't work with Mac OSX out of the box. I made that mistake. I understand that Palms work fine, I know they sell them at the Apple Store (which I always have taken as a tacit implication that the device is compatible.)

Enjoy your machine - I'm sure it will be wonderful.

5. DavidFDM macrumors regular

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

can't you just use palm desktop on your mac with the clie??
    i don't understand why you wouldn't...

reality

7. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

GOT IT! :)

I LOVE this machine. It's so aesthetically pleasing to come home to...As for the PDA, honestly, haven't gotten around to that yet! There are so many cool features for this machine... Actually, I don't know what you mean by palm desktop it.. Maybe it's a pre-installed software item?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, yes! I remember buying a 17" iMac for my wife 18 months ago. I wanted to get something she could use and not have any problems with. Well...she didn't have any problems with it for months because I was always on it! At that point, I had OS 9 on my (old) PowerBook, and OS X just blew me away.

Have fun....