Pics of Dubai.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DeSnousa, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I just came across this blog of past, present, and future Dubai and all I can say is :eek:

I can't believe I never paid attention to this before, but this is total madness.

Link

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I remember reading about Dubai and watching something on public television on it a couple of years ago. It is completely nuts over there. As an architecture and urban design student I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into stuff like that, and I can tell you, a place like that would take years and years to plan. Just from looking at the pictures it looks like they've been some of this stuff since at least the early 80's.

The interesting thing to me is that what they are building is the epitome of what the US is. Does it seem weird to anyone else that this is being built amidst a culture that believes this kind of stuff should be destroyed? (or is that just what we are told and that really isn't the case).

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I saw something about this on the tube not long ago. Evidently the sporting complex includes (and I'm not kidding) an indoor ski slope.

Actually, I think it's a pretty smart idea re: the tourism angle. As it stands now, you pretty much have to go to either Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or Florida to get that kind of thing. Frankfurt to Orlando is about a 13 or 14 hour flight; bit of a long trip for our European friends. But Frankfurt to Dubai is about a 6 hour flight...not too shabby.

Dubai is also pretty close to India with their burgeoning and (I imagine) vacation-hungry middle class...

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Amazing stuff being built there.

Obviously they are planning for their future post-oil... once the oil dries up, Dubai and the rest of the UAE will be good for exporting what, sand? They don't want to end up like Matt Damon's character describes in Syriana (I paraphrase):

"You know where you were 100 years ago? Running around in the sand cutting each other's heads off. You know where you'll be 100 years from now? Same place."

So they're trying to establish themselves as the Middle East version of Las Vegas. Pretty smart, if you ask me... they're willing to put their personal beliefs on the back burner in the name of trying to have a propserous future.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nice summary of centuries of Arabic and Persian civilisation... :rolleyes:

7. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Ski Dubai.

I believe it's been done in Japan before too, but don't quote me on it.

Amazing what a few dollars can do. :p

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Dubai is truly an amazing place. I hope to go back there some day in the near future, as it's been a couple years now and things have changed so much in even that short amount of time! :cool:

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've wanted to go to Dubai for a couple of years now, but mainly because the airport there is supposed to be absolutely amazing. It's supposed to be one of the most beautiful and elaborate of all the international airports. There's just something about an airport that has things paved with gold that makes you just want to see it for yourself.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yep, they've got one in Fukuoka. I never got to go inside while I was there, but I saw it from the outside.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's the strange thing....

They presumably think that now is the time to spend the "black gold" money on these kind of HUGE projects so that once the magic of oil will deminish (either drained, or we have gone on to use other sources of power), they are ready for the rest, like tourism atc.
    I mean looking at those future pics, who wouldn't want to have a look... (if you can get a pint somewhere ;) )?

Other OPEC nations should follow this. Get ready to survive in a post-oil richness economy. One day it will happen.....

12. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

it is insane, and smart! but poses a question regarding the views about western culture, which all this development is symbolic of. does this have the long term effect of possibly bringing those who would fight us with some sort of acceptance or does it turn their hate towards places like dubai as well?

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

and when the ice sheets melt from global warming it will be the largest underwater city in the world when they build the large glass domes over everything....

but seriously, it is a bit nuts - but I do like some of the architecture. But all of it together is too much.

D

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i heard somewhere that atlantis is opening another hotel their on i think the palm island.... crazy...
    I wonder how they'll treat americans...

edit - http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/

15. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

welcome to the suck..

I found dubai to be a empty, souless desert, populated by pretentious idiots fannying around pretending to be millionaires. its not a real place, everything about it is engineered, but if you want a holiday somewhere completely fake, go ahead...

16. rfrankl macrumors 6502

That is why the price of oil is so high...so they can ski indoors in the desert. :)

I am not sure if it is Dubai or one of the other middle eastern countries, but have you ever seen the one Prince with the Audi A8 I believe...it is not just silver in color...it is made out of silver...really sharp.

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

that does pretty much encapsulate a lot of tourist destinations, though. I thought I'd hate Orlando when I went, but it was actually pretty cool. Warm weather, sunshine, and clean public spaces (however artificial) can be a nice escape from the day to day. Just my opinion...

18. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Dubai does not represent the middle east. It's a typical western fabrication like the Saudi Royal family with fulsome pockets of cash and a cluster of people who are the epitome of surfeit. The majority of inhabitants are expatriates.

19. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

iPod Hotel

I saw this on some show about a month ago. I'm almost positive it was with Barbara Walters. Anyway, it showed that they are currently developing an "iPod tower". A massive hotel for tourists that was be made to look like "the largest iPod in the world".

20. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

By the way, there's a lot more oil in the Middle East than people think. People forget that most of the oil pumped out in her Persian Gulf now uses relatively primitive pumping techniques--add in modern techniques like steam injection and super-deep drilling and we could maybe increase the known reserves there by as much as 400%.

Dubai is located in a region that is perfect for trans-Eurasian goods trade and goods trade down the eastern coast of Africa (people often forget that the early Muslims were often trading merchants--indeed, the prophet Muhammed was one himself). When Islam spread throughout the Middle East, southern Asia and Africa the Arab traders often went right along with the invading armies looking for goods trade opportunities. Today, the nearby emirate of Sharjah is one of the busiest cargo trans-shipment centers in the world, with a lot of goods going into the former Soviet Union from there.

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I could use that same description for Las Vegas. Man, I dislike that place...

22. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

When you got a large population and no major source of employment, all that there really is left to do is create an 'artificial' city. This is exactly what Dubai is doing, they are securing the future for their people after their oil supplies diminish - which I read some where that it was about 100 years.

The city is an amazing example of what mankind (hate that word) is capable of achieving, so no doubt in my mind will this become a major tourist centre of the world displaying modern architecture with western culture indulgence. But I just also hope that we can take some of their culture back.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think it'll be as popular a holiday destination as they're predicting it will be.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You mean more so than it already is? If so, then yes, it will be interesting to see if their predictions come true, but they're definitely on course to meet their future targets.

And I'll assume you didn't mean that it isn't a popular destination yet. I've been there - trust me me, it already is. :cool:

25. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Damn. What a big target.

..everyone's thinking it; I'm just saying it...