Pics please: can someone report on mini wifi chipset??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tc60045, Mar 31, 2006.

1. tc60045 macrumors newbie

Can someone who is currently taking apart / upgrading their new Intel mac mini take a gooooooood hard look at the wireless chip / chipset and report back here?

What is the chipset? Model? All the gorey details? Pics?!?!?

I know OS x doesn't currently support 802.11a in SW, but if the hardware doesn't support 802.11a, that is a whole different story?

Thanks very much!

TC

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The WiFi hardware in a Intel Mini does support 802.11a, and I believe there is now support in the OS as well. At least news reports lead me to believe that, I have no idea how to check as I only have a b/g router.

3. tc60045 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr. Lha, I'd read that rumour, too, but I'm really keen to see if someone can verify for the mini. If they are taking apart the case, the first piece to extricate after that case headache is the wireless card....

By the same token, if someone has 802.11a working with a mini, report in -- how's it working?

I had a "mac genius" tell me that the OS didn't support 802.11a about a week ago --sigh.

Thanks!

TC

4. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Not going to give tech specs here, but I read earlier in the Apple support forums that they're using the Mini's Airport drivers to solve a very delicate connectivity issue with MBP's regarding PEAP.

Hope this helps

5. tc60045 thread starter macrumors newbie

Answer: 802.11a IS ENABLED

bought my mac mini today, powered up and it found my 802.11a network like a champ. Handles WPA PSK like a dream. Didn't have to do ANYTHING to make it work.

I bought mine with memory upgraded, so i won't be cracking mine open -- if there is a utility to pull info from chipset (like netstumbler), I'd be happy to run that for others.

Thank you Apple!!