Picture Frame Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by panoz7, Jan 22, 2007.

1. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I recently purchased a clamshell iBook with the intent of turning it into a digital picture frame for my grandma. I've found plenty of guides on how to take it apart and I think hardware wise I'm set. I'm having more trouble with the software side of the equation.

What I eventually want to happen is that family members across the country can log on to my web server, upload pictures, and have them appear on the picture frame the next day. What's the best way to achieve that?

My google searches, and searches of this forum haven't yielded many results. I've found some slideshow viewers for OS X (and OS 9 is an option as-well) but haven't figured out the best way to sync the pictures with the server. I want to keep the bandwidth use to a minimum (I'm going to be borrowing wifi from her neighbors and don't want it to impact them anymore then it has to) and would prefer that it somehow syncs with the server once a day in the middle of the night.

Is this something that applescript can do? I have no experience with it but I'm a quick learner. I know there are terminal commands that can sync folders... could that work with an ftp folder as-well?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
  2. vwDavid macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2007
    Did you ever figure this out? I am doing similar planning to use apple screen saver to show the photos (you could sync via FTP/appleshare etc) but I am finding the screen saver module does a bad job at rendering the photos. Quality is poor.

need something simple.