picture of the 9800xt thats in the g5?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mord, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

has anyone seen a picture of the 9800xt thats in the g5's now (not the 9800 pro) because i'm wandering how far that cooler sticks out so that it blocks the next pci slot, none of the pc 9800xt's do that why dose the mac one, (and you could replace the cooler with a low profile one for that pci slot some time) anyone got one that they can take a shot at (ideally scan the thing).

2. AngeredTree macrumors member

I believe they mentioned that Both the New GeForce 6800 and the ATi 9800xt take up an extra PCI Slot due to their size, but I could be wrong on this...

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

No, you are completely correct. The 9800XT does block the adjacent pci slot.

However that I would like to point out that apple recommends that you place cards in the computer from top to bottom. i.e., they suggest for the fastest performance, to install the fastest pci-x card in the top slot. So i really don't see this as a problem. I've never meet (or heard) of anyone using more than two pci-x slots in their G5.

4. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i know this but i want to see some scans for flashing reference and to see if it could easyly be replaced by a slim cooler