Picture of US Powerbook keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by McBain, Dec 24, 2003.

1. McBain macrumors member

I have been thinking about getting a Powerbook for a while now, but one concern I have is with the keyboard.

In the UK, the return key is this dinky little thing, and I was wondering if the US keyboard looks the same. Also, the arrow keys are really small.

I would really appreciate it if someone could post a picture of the 12"/15" Powerbook keyboard.

If the US keyboard looks a bit more usable, I would consider getting one when I go there next year instead of getting one over here.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Sorry about the quality, my camcorder happened to be sitting next to me and I shot it through that.

[​IMG]

3. thekaiser macrumors member

Here is a picture of the enter key and the arrow keys. Let me know if you want me to post a pic of the whole keyboard.

Attached Files:

4. McBain thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I wanted to see. The US layout is way better than the UK one (IMO). I think I'll wait until my next US trip to pick one up.

Pity the arrow keys are so small.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

My KB

Why don't you have the signs on the KB instead of "Enter" / "Return" labels?

I live in Germany but got my PB with international english KB and just saw that difference with yours... is in UK the same, no signs but letters? the way return comes is also different...

Attached Files:

• mykb.jpg
      mykb.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  6. McBain thread starter macrumors member

Hey Amigo, that's exactly how the UK one looks. I hate that return key. But I've mostly had US laptops, so I suppose I'm just more used to that layout.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Strange - it's the same two keys, just differently shaped. I wonder if there's some DIN or EU standard that mandates that odd-shaped return key?

8. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Ick! it must be hard to touch-type and be able to hit the return key on those without having to shift your hand out of position. I have a 12" powerbook with the US keyboard, and I'll agree with those who like the US keyboard better!

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I must disagree. UK keyboards have always had the more square-shaped return keys and I like them because they are a bigger target area to hit. I had to use a US keyboard recently and I often missed the return key because it was only on one row, and you tend to be less precise when hitting that return key.

That said, it doesn't really matter what you have because you get used to whatever you have within 10 minutes.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The return key on the powerbook looks to be in the same proportion to the shift key as the keys on my keyboard and I really don't have a problem touch typing.

11. Icekey macrumors member

That's really strange. Here in Australia, we have the same as the US keyboard layout

12. Julianne macrumors member

I was promised the US keyboard, but have the international english keyboard. They (Apple Store) are to be working on getting me a US keyboard. That is what I ordered and what I wanted. I agree the International english keyboard SUCKS!!!! I am always missing the left shift and hitting the enter is just as hard! I don't know why Apple can't just have one keyboard! Hell I can order a Dell and it will standard have the US layout. So, why can't apple?

They are an international company yet they can't trade parts within itself?

Just my grievence I have with Apple other than that I love my 17" Powerbook