Pictures of 12" ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ts1973, May 5, 2004.

1. ts1973 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone has some pics of the 12" ibook, especially the keyboard (or a top pic with the lid open).
    I don't know why, but it seems like Apple scares away from showing the ibook from the top. The 12" powerbook on the other hand is showed in all its glory. :rolleyes:

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't have any pictures, but you might want to check out Apple's QuickTime VR of the iBook. It provides a view of the top.

3. ts1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help, but I already saw the VR movie. It's a little blurry, that's why I was looking for something more detailed (a bit like this PB12" picture)

4. iBook macrumors regular

How's this....

A bit blurry, but it should give you a good sense of the design.

Attached Files:

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

the pic in the above post gives you an idea but its of the old g3 ibook. i've got a few pics saved from various places but they're not my pics so i appologise to anyone who owns them, im just trying to help someone out. i made them smaller to upload them here.
    hope it helps

edit. upload another pic

Attached Files:

6. ts1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot : these are great !! (I'm still deciding over a 12" ibook vs a 12" PB...).

I wonder why Apple doesn't post anything simular on the site...

7. abc123 macrumors 6502

i'm happy to see that they did away with the clearish keys. i understand that stuff, especially hair gets stuck under keys but being able to see it is really disgusting.

8. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't want to get involved in the iBook/PB debate, but just for grins, C|Net posted an article a couple of days ago on the topic of wanting the iBook's looks but not being able to go Mac. Me, I think the VAIOs are actually fairly cute, but anyway it's good flattery for Apple. :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6411_7-5133092.html

10. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

ahh the age old ibook/powerbook debate!

well its been covered extensively on alot of sites. everyone who has a powerbook recommends a powerbook and vice versa. thats not to say that they're wrong! but here comes the golden catchphrase it depends what you use it for

alot of the stuff you'll read about it will be out of date now as apple update the ibooks and powerbooks. if i were you i'd wait til you see new benchmarks for both books. that way youll get an idea of really how much difference there is between them in terms of cost and performance.

i know benchmarks aren't everything but remember that the new ibook is essentially the old 1Ghz 12" powerbook. There should be benchmarks out any time now. check here every so often.

i myself am looking at an ibook or powerbook to compliment my g5, i need something for when i come home from uni and am holding off until i see some new benchmarks and can play with both machines in an apple centre. (still taking some time to get into the stores outside London here in the UK)

11. ts1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good site, this MacSpeedZone.

I hope they soon update their site with the new laptops.

Meanwhile, you could imagine that the ibook 12" would perform close to the old 12" PB, and the new 12" PB like the old 17" PB (except for the graphics section). I'm still curious though.

12. abram macrumors newbie

Good site for pictures

This site has helpful pictures comparing the 12" iBook and Powerbook. I went with the iBook myself - it has better battery life, and a good reputation for durability.

13. josepho macrumors regular

This time I went for the PB... Purely because it was more powerful, and not too much more expensive. However, I think the iBook is a superb machine, and I think it actually looks really really good!

If you're stretching to afford a Mac notebook go for the iBook - you WILL be happy. If you have enough, get the PB, because it's a little smaller and more powerful - but in my opinion, there ain't too much difference.

Cheers!

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i got the iBook. Because, when you compare specs, you get A LOT more computer for your money than you do with the 12in PB. It's just a better deal, even if you're not pinching pennies. It's even more so now, i have the prev. revision (only 1.5mo old). Go iBook, you'll be happy (besides the airport and bluetooth ranges are better, as well as increased battery life)

15. josepho macrumors regular

I have noticed both decreases in AE and battery life since swapping the iBook for PB. AE doesn't bother me 'cause I only use it for wireless internet access, so whether the signal drops to allow 5MB/sec as opposed to 10MB/sec it doesn't matter... I just wish I had an internet connection that fast!). The battery is a slight disappointment, though it's still decent (3-3.5hrs usually)...

As I say, the iBook is an excellent machine, as is the PB. I wouldn't change my mind, but if circumstances had required me to get the iBook I wouldn't've regretted it one bit!

Cheers!

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

What Revision of PB do you have, and what revision of iBook were you upgrading from?

On another note, I got the Powerbook only because I gave my (college attending) cousin money to but me a PB, so I got the education discount. Otherwise, I would've bought the iBook.

This Site has some iBook pictures. It's not in english, though.

17. josepho macrumors regular

What happened was: I ordered the 12" iBook with BT & AE at the start of April. I got it 4 days before they revamped the whole notebook line, so I returned the iBook within my 10 day policy. I then noticed that the PB was within budget, so I got that (stock).

I have definitely noticed an improvement in speed (800Mhz, 256MB RAM, 256KB L2 vs 1.33Ghz, 768MB RAM, 512KB), but the iBook was certainly more than adequate, and with an extra 512MB RAM I'm sure it would be great.

Cheers!