Piii Vs G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by AdamR01, Feb 2, 2003.

1. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I'm new to the mac world and I am considering buying a 12" PowerBook. I am not a hardcore gamer but I do enjoy playing some games (Unreal Tournament, Starcraft, Deus Ex, Heroes of Might and Magic). I am just wondering if the performance of the laptop will be ok for me. I am currently using a PIII 1GHz with 384mb of ram and a GeForce4MX 440. How do you think the performance would compare?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

An 867mhz G4 will smoke a 1ghz P3 any day of the week.

3. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good to know. So what clockspeed would a PIII or P4 have to be to have the same speed as an 867MHz G4?

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The 12in PowerBook is faster than most P4/P3 laptops in games. I got a 15in TiBook becuase of this. The 12in PowerBook should be faster than the fastest P3 (which goes to 1.5Ghz)

However I would say that the TiBook is the best to get because of the faster graphics card. The graphics card in the TiBook is up to twice as fast as the graphics in the 17in/12in Powerbooks in games like Doom 3/UT 2003.

Search the internet for Quake 3 scores on Apple's and PCs and you will be able to see how good the computer you want to get is at playing games vs PCs. Anything above 30 frames pe second is perfectly playable.

Lastly I play all of those games on my laptop and it is a year old so any moden Apple laptop will be able to play them with ease.

5. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will the fact that the 15" doesnt have DDR ram matter any?

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Everyone will tell you something different. If they like Macs they'll tell you a P4 3.06 GHz. If they don't, they'll say a P3 1.2 GHz. It all depends on what the person's bias is.

For me, I double the Mac's processor speed and keep the numeral. So a 667 MHz G4 Powerbook is like a P4 1.33 GHz. Likewise, a 500 MHz G3 iBook is like a P3 1Ghz.

I know it is totally arbitrary and probably wrong, but that's how I always thought of it. :)

Have fun with your potential new Mac.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this is not fact just educated guess but i have allways thought you would about double the g4 say my 733 would compare to a 1.5 p4 get the idea?this does not hold true everwhere depending on software but as a rule of thumb for myself i have allways thought of it this way!seems apple was allways comparing the g4 in a similiar fashion.Also remember we are only talking the hardware, when you look at the software apple is just nite and day better.Just an opionion.

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

just for comparison, my 500mhz G3 imac runs 10.2.3 about as quickly as my sister's 1ghz PIII runs windows me (sometimes a bit quicker, sometimes a hair slower) and an 800mhz imac g4 feels about twice as fast as my computer. your milage will definitely vary depending on what kind of work you do, but the gap is noticable.

the 12 inch AlBook is using a 420, while your current machine is using a 440, but the processor will make up for it and then some, so most games will run quite well. don't be put off by UT performance, it runs like crap in osx because it's still at dp3 (although westlake says that they're working on it :rolleyes: ). something like wcIII or rtcw should run fine.

9. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Everyone. I never expected any replies this fast. So would i be better off spending more money on the 15" PowerBook, or is the performance increase not worth the money?

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There is no way the 867MHz G4 will even come close to a 1.5GHz PIII in non-AltiVec apps. For games, I'd estimate its performance to be about 40% of that PIII. The G4 is pretty much even with the P3 in the SPEC2000 integer benchmark, but is much slower in floating point (important, as most Mac games don't rely on AltiVec). Starcraft will run fine on anything. I haven't played any of those other games, but generally games perform better on PCs. Your PowerBook will seem slower than the PC you have. Doubly so since you'll be playing from within OS X. That doesn't mean the games will be unplayable on the PowerBook, it just means that you might see 40fps instead of 50 or 60.

The lack of RAM in the 15" is no big deal, since DDR is crippled in the 12" and 17" anyway (the current G4 doesn't support DDR; Apple has grafted it onto the motherboard presumably to made their machines look better on paper).

11. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

? hmmm... that number sounds like it might be a little off.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think alex ant is a pc user with mac envy but other then that a lot of games are coded for pc's and dont use SMP nor altivec though this is getting better lately with the ports we are getting. You need to look into the game itself to see if it has been optimized for the mac or if its just a crappy port. I feel to as the macs are getting faster and faster this will be less of an issue in the near future. But that post of UT2003 and doom3 running well on a portable is pure fiction in my view. Both of those games are going to require MUSCLE!

13. ELYXR macrumors regular

14. abdul macrumors member

i dont mean to be a bit pissed off but i believed that rumor about doubling the mhz thing, so i was happy to buy an 800mhz ibook, i love it to bits, it hasnt crashed and the apple software it alot superior to its windows counterparts but it does take along time ripping and burning cds. slower than my brothers old p3 1.2mhz p3 computer with an external cd writer. i do hope the get better processor cos these seem to be slower than wants wanted in a low end computer

15. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

The 15? has an L3 Cache, which is better. But it lacks some of the stuff that the 12? has (Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Crippled DDR, and then antennae in the right spots).

P.S. See, it's true-everyone has their own biased opinion on the speed comparison. You'd think that they'd be a definitive equation for converting the specs in daily mundane tasks, but there isn't.

You just gotta pick who you are going to believe . . .

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

My main machine is a TiBook. The rest of what you say is true, but there are only a handful of these games so far.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

18. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I think I'm gonna get the 12" because the 15" is a bit out of my price range. I'm just really sick of Windows and Linux is a pain. Now I just gotta come up with all the money or convince my dad to let me get a loan.

19. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

When you consider that the G4's FPU is about half as fast as an equally-clocked PIII, and that OS X is a dog for games, I'd say 40% is in the ballpark. That doesn't mean games will run 40% as fast on the Mac - it means the G4 is about 40% as fast as a comparable PIII for games.

20. Das macrumors regular

Well, with the 440 (not 420) I'd give the nods to the p3. If it's a 64 mb 440, then I'd really give nods to the pc. Here are some results on the pc side ( http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gf4go&page=7 ) which might give some insight and they are using a 1.1 g3 as a test system. When you factor in all of the games on a PC compared to a mac all diehard gamers would be better off with a pc.

However, since you play games rarely, the 12" pb would offer a better deal since the thing rocks at everything else. It really is a tight little machine and when you're ready to upgrade a year later, you can actually get more than 14 dollars for it on ebay compared to a pc notebook.

21. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the Apple Protection Program worth the $300? I've speced out what i want and with Office, a case, and the APP its $2853.95.

22. Angelus macrumors 6502

id say go with the 15 inch powerbook.Ive got a 667g4 powerbook with 512MB and a radeon 7500 32MB and it can run medal of honour and ghost recon at high resolutions with high levels of detail turned on,with hardly any slow down.the 1GHZ powerbook should kick ass with its 64Mb card.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Absolutely!

If you have a problem with the LCD, it's going to be well over $300.

Having recently taken my dad's iMac to CompUSA for work, a hard drive, battery, modem, and labor was almost $400.

AppleCare is worth it.