Pill 'reverses' vegetative state

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, May 23, 2006.

1. Zeke macrumors 6502

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

^^^ My thoughts exactly. It sounds very similar to the story. I just wonder what the long term effects of the drug would be.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Great....imagine the price of that pill.....poor people won't get it..

Bless

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Most of the time, poor people don't have the luxury of a persistent vegetative state. They just die.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats the truth. wrap them up and bury em.

Bless

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The medical condition portrayed in the movie is very different, though.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I realize that, but nevertheless I still wonder how the drug would work long-term for patients with PVS (assuming they determine that the candidates they tested have actual PVS).

8. noaccess macrumors 6502

$104.99 for 30 tablets, to be exact... :)
    Zolpidem's been on the market for years (Ambien). Used to take it for insomnia.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's really interesting...I wanna look up the scientific article to understand if any imaging was done on these individuals. I tend to also think that what was observed was not the classical concept of a PVS .... awww, poo... we don't have electronic access to current issues -- it's one of those subscriptions where we only get issues one year old or older.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is the scientific abstract:

10. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Hmm. I didn't read too closely, but does anyone remember the Terri Schaivo case from a few months ago? I wonder if this pill would have saved her...

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

One side effect of Ambien is that it has been known to cause some patients to sleepwalk/sleep eat when it was taken for an extended period of time. :eek:

My old boss took it for a while until it was linked to his blackouts during the day.

More research definitely needs to be done.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is sounding more and more like the plot of a zombie movie! :eek: :eek:

I really wanna pull that article and read it...I think I might go to the library (Ugh, actual print articles? Published in 2006? :rolleyes: ) and find it tomorrow.

13. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

The article uses the term PVS incorrectly.

People in a PVS do not constantly scream. If Dr. Clauss is including a screamer in a study about PVS, he is way out there. This type of irresponsible account gives false hope to those whose loved ones have zero chance of meaningful recovery.

14. jaysmith macrumors regular

but do people normally get better after being in such a state? I could care less about side effects if i'm conscious and able-bodied. then again i never really read up on this, excuse my possible ignorance.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No... as I understand it, as normally defined, people in this kind of state stay that way (unresponsive) as long as they're kept on life support, and die otherwise. The standard view is that there's too much brain damage for recovery to be a serious possibility.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if true it's pretty amazing.

i'm a bit puzzled that a result of this potential magnitude (the study has gone on for 6 years) wasn't published in a better journal.

here is some more info:

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is really interesting.

We know so little about the brain, and our bodies for that matter.

19. jaysmith macrumors regular

so why would people worry about side effects? no matter how bad they may be, its still beats bein g a vegetable aand dying inevitably. amazing how people can discover such a pill though.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well... according to traditional wisdom, and the pile of data on this topic up to the point of this piece of research, there is relatively little practical point in sustaining someone in a PVS. The two reasons people do it are because the family needs to feel like they're still fighting, and because there's the off chance some sort of cure or rehabilitation will be developed in the future while the person is being sustained....

But, from what Don't Panic posted, it sounds like these individuals might have had a relatively mild PVS -- I thought in a lot of "classical" cases, the "dormant" area is almost the entire cortex. Which, if I understand the logic proposed, would mean that zolpidem still wouldn't work.

Like in the case of Schiavo, most of the neurologists and neuropsychologists I interacted with around the time felt that she had no chance of recovery based on available or forseeable technology. This is a strange result, and it's way off the track of what's been published before, as far as I know, although traumatic brain injuries are not my area of expertise.

I'm going to go across the street and try to find this article at lunchtime. :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:( :( :(

Our library doesn't carry this journal in print either.

22. the ford prefec macrumors newbie

a bit more info

Only just came across this thread - I know it's old but here is a link to a recent UK article.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obj...ear-coma---by-a-sleeping-pill--name_page.html

Regen Therapeutics also seem to do something called collostrinin (derived from cow colostrum!) which according to research also seems to have an effect on brain function - plenty of patents:

http://v3.espacenet.com/results?sf=...AB=&PN=&AP=&PR=&PD=&PA=&IN=&EC=&IC=&=&=&=&=&=

and some proof of it working but not yet available. Apparently an over the counter "nutraceuticle" will be made by sterling technology:

http://www.bestcolostrum.com/home

Cheers
    Mike

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I heard about this on the local news show last night. They specifically mentioned that it wouldn't have helped Terri Schiavo.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan