Pimp My Ride!

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Feb 5, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can't believe we haven't had a thread about this yet! :eek: :D

Do you watch this show? I do. It's amazing what these places can do, although I wouldn't be caught dead in the majority of their creations (I'd feel like a complete tit in most of them :eek: ) it is still very impressive stuff, and there have been a couple that I absolutely loved!

Did you see the one with the old Mustang? It was brilliant! And I'd love to own it.

[​IMG]

There was also one where they did an old VW hippy van, that was awesome too (can't find ay pics :()

So the only two I'd actually drive are the Mustang and the hippy van, perhaps because they were more restorations than "pimps".

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

haha yeah I used to watch Pimp my Ride all the time. That show rocks so hard. I think the best one was where they got the kids car up on the lift and realized it was 2 cars welded together and they couldn't allow it to roll back into the street so they just gave him a new car.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I watch Pimp My Ride. I was amazed at all of the pimpage, but, like you said, I would only drive a few (I would get shot driving some of them). I would also drive the scion, though. I thought that was pimpin'.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How would you feel about a pimped Mini?
    Car, that is...

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, they are coming to the UK, and I do have a Mini...:D

Seriously, I don't think I'd want them anywhere near it. As I say, most of their stuff isn't my "style" at all. If I was one for "cruising" Southend sea front I'd love it though...but I'm not (just had to make that clear ;))

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Aaah... lovely Sarfend.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Man, I love Pimp My Ride. Cool show, but again, I would also never drive the cars they produce. Its always the same repair shop, so they always have the same style, a style I don't particularly like.

The dumbest "feature" was the coffee maker in the front of the car. I mean, they're American. Surely the girl can sue Xzibit and the show and mechanics if she spilled boiling coffee on her lap. :rolleyes:

Best cars are usually the girls' cars. The Mustang was owned by a girl, and sure, there were plenty of girly features that I wouldn't touch, but the cars themselves look sweet. :)

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've never seen the show. Seeing the middle picture now I know why edesignuk is so interested. :D

10. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I don't have cable, but my parents do and I stayed at their house over Christmas. MTV had a Pimp My Ride marathon on and I watched it for about 5 hours straight. It's a great show but my one dissapointment was that they kept on saying that the person who was getting their car "pimped" was really into computers, and that they were going to theme the car around that. All they did though was paint some hokey looking circuit board designs on the car and put an Xbox in the trunk. I'd like to see them put a Mini or a G5 in a car and build around that. I know there was a thread on here about someone putting a G4 in their car and actually creating software specifically for their car.

11. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

a nice little parody.. :p Pimp My Shoe
    it's about 16MB.. definitely worth it...

:D reality

12. iGav macrumors G3

I prefer American Chopper myself... ;) :D

As for 'Pimp My Ride' more often than not, the cars that come out are a far bigger crime than the ones that went in. :eek: :p

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's good too. Paul Snr cracks me up :D :eek:

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

do you guys not have a m.o.t test (vehicle safty/goodness/legality/ test) out there?

some of thse things are dreadful

as for american chopper - its awesome :D

"im gettin aggravated"

"im gunna kill somebody"

classic

15. iGav macrumors G3

"if you knew what you were on about, you'd be dangerous"

and

"Ho! Ho! Ho! my ass!"

:p

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Senior scares me. Man, I would have crouched over at the corner of the garage and wept quietly.....

Of course, I didn't grow up with him as a dad. ;)

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sometimes I wonder if the stuff they do is even street legal. I hope they go to the DMV and have the Reg changed when they change the paint color. ;)

18. sirius1722 macrumors member

I used to watch Pimp My Ride but the stuff they do to those cars is just....wow...dumb... So I started watching Overhaulin' on TLC (or is it Discovery?). Now those cars I would kill to drive. That Chip Foose is a genius. :cool:

19. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i would take all the grief from paul snr if he brought me cool stuff like harleys :)

20. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Some lady had a Firebird on Pimp my Ride, and they made it look pretty sharp , except for th 20" rims which didn't look quite right, and the
    FREAKIN' CHANDELIER they installed instead of a DOME LIGHT!!!

But I do like the show, me and my youngest enjoy watching it together (he's 6)

21. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

It's an awesome show

Pimp my ride is an awesome show, the cars they make are awesome, and there is obviously a crowd which loves those cars, but i guess it's not this one :) I have driven to vegas from L.A. to go see low riders and I wasn't the only one who did it either. Some of those cars are even in the smithonian museum, ;)

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I saw Winterize My Ride on a kid's channel yesterday afternoon. It was pretty cool. Same camera moves, and same energy as Pimp My Ride. I'll see if I can find it. Pimping ain't exactly a word I'd like to use around my kids.

Winterize My Ride

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

That's where they tricked out a Scion, right? Yeah, that one was fun. What did they put in there, about 5 video screens?

I'm also a fan of Monster Garage, along with American Chopper. Unfortunately I only watch about once a month or so.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Suburban white kids... oh noes! :)

25. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

They just did an 89 Mustang convertible last night, painted it metallic red and also added a metallic gold/silver color somewhere (I didn't catch it, I had to put my son to bed). I did tape it however, I want to see what they do to the interior. See if I can get some ideas for my 'stang. I usually don't like what they do to the cars, nasty rims and the urban look (neon lights, sound systems that will shake the header bolts loose!), although the 67 Mustang looked nice.

The restoration look of Overhaulin' is definitely more my style.