Pioneer A07 (DVR-107) External DVD Burner for laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kyanos, Feb 22, 2004.

1. kyanos macrumors newbie

I've read some posts here about the new Pioneer a07 dvd burner and compatibility issues with macs. I've found a couple that are being sold in third party enclosures that I want to use with DVD studio pro and my G4 Powerbook. Does anyone know if there are any compitibility issues with using an enclosure with this drive or is it the same as putting it in a tower?
    Thanks

2. Jays macrumors member

I took A Pioneer 106 dvd writer from a G5 PM, I put it in a external Firewire enclosure from an old Quest cd-rw and it works perfectly, in all apps and system burning capabilities. but I guess you want to know if a generic pioneer ones will work? is there a difference between the ones in the PowerMacs G5 and the ones pioneer sells?

3. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Pioneer is the most reliable DVD Burning drive for Mac, it is what Apple uses for its Superdrive in most cases. It is a reliable stable drive that should work without any problem with your PB or PM

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Apple also uses the Sony DVD-RW (SuperDrive). My 17" FP iMac has a Sony SuperDrive and it may or may not failing on my iMac. I have to take it to an Apple Service Center on Wednesday to have it looked at. Either the SuperDrive or the Hard Drive makes some kind of funny noise.

The Sony SuperDrive is model#: DW-U10A

If you get this model, it may, or maynot work by itself if you didn't buy it directly from Apple, or take it out of a Mac that had it preinstalled. I have known a couple of people who bought the Pioneer SuperDrive from a 3rd party vendor and got it to work with iDVD, iTunes, etc... I'm guessing they were just lucky though.

5. scifi451 macrumors regular

Where did you find these for sale? I might be interested in buying one myself.