Pioneer Double DVD's in Mac's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Matty P, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Matty P macrumors newbie

Just seen the article in cnet about the new Pioneer Double layer DVD drives and it made me think that maybe they will be in a revised G5 soon. I think that it would be a smart move to install these in the G5 PowerMac and maybe Apple will support DVD+R R/W, I can never get DVD-R at my local store! The best thing will be all that data I could fit onto 1 disk 8.5GB, longer iMovies to DVD and huge music DVD's.

Pioneer Double layer DVD drives

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It would be GREAT for iDVD and DVD Studio Pro so that you could make a master of your full-length feature on DVD.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

You can already install a DL DVD-R drive into a mac just fine. But there are a few problems:

1.) No Apple app supports or recognizes DL discs
    2.) Toast doesn't support DL yet
    3.) Its next to impossible to find DL discs to purchase yet

So even if Apple started shipping with DL burners tomorrow, it would do little good, especially since you can't even buy the discs yet.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Current DL drives are also really slow. You can burn 3 single layer disks in the time it takes to burn 1 DL disk. There is a good review here.

Edit: just re-read that article. With the current fasted drives you can burn 7 single layer DVDs in the time it takes to burn a single dual layer DVD!

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ouch! Not ready for prime-time for most of us then.

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Especially not with HD DVD's just around the corner.

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

that's assuming a replicator would accept a dual-layer DVD. DLT is a much safer way to go. it's an industry standard because tape media is intrinsically more reliable than optical media.

I agree with your point as far as it would be great to show a client how their finished product will look on a DVD-9 (before sending the project on DLT to the replicator), instead of a compromised DVD-5, DV tape or directly from the hard drive via Apple DVD Player.

I want dual layer burning on my Mac too.

9. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Someone forgive my ignorance, but what kind of technology is used in studio DVDs? I always wondered how they were able to release feature-length films on DVD, but you can't seem to burn a movie of that length on DVD-R.

Dave

10. bux macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that they use dual layer discs.

11. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Studio disks are most always dual layer. They also have better encoding tools than iDVD. That said, they average about 7.4 gigs or so. Some will use the MAX space, but often its easier to split onto 2 disks for special features and such. It costs so little to do this and they can claim 2 disk special edition, etc.

Many people cannot see the difference between a compressed 7 gig and 4.4 gig DVD. Some can. With dual layer, there is no need to compress your archives, and home movies could be made at a higher quality.

Also, I think Toast does support dual layer writing at this point.

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    my friend's work (mastering studio) got a hold of a few dual layer dvd-r's (unsure which exactly) but none of them worked in his home player when he borrowed a movie they were working on.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I read a review somewhere (sorry, no time to look it up) and I remember that the compatibility of the dula layer was something like 67% (DVD-R was 96% and DVD+R was 87%). That will be another huge issue if they are to ever gain wide acceptance.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    from what he said, it didn't even recognize the disc.. ie, no spin, no display saying "Disc not readable" or something like that... ill ask for specifics next time i see him.