pioneer dvd 109 doesnt fit in my G4 quicksilver

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Harry Sona, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Harry Sona macrumors newbie

Hi guys

Dont know if this is the right forum to post this in but I have just bought a Pioneer DVD 109 duallayer writer and for some reason the damn thing wont fit. The tray door just keeps on getting stuck either on the metal caing indside or the edges of the plastic trap door. HHas anyone else had this experience and can you help me please

Harry

2. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

Just pop off the end (lip) of the tray. Pretty much all optical drives need to have this done to fit in PowerMac's.

3. Miner Willy macrumors regular

it won't fit...

It sound like you haven't taken the cosmetic front bit iff if it. Generally they unclip by gently pulling the front of the tray/door then pushing up at the same time. It's a little fiddly but it should work fine.

HTH

EDIT... Beat me to it!!

4. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Yes it fits.

Just take off the little plastic piece thats snaps off the end of the tray. Be careful not to pull the tray as you're doing it. So what I did was keep the Powermac open with the drive out of it's casing and pressed the eject button. Then with the tray open remove the piece.

Good luck

5. Wrock macrumors newbie

The front plate of the drive tray should snap off. (That's the part with the all the little logos all over it). It'll clear the casing once you've done that.

I had the same problem with my MDD. Like a moron I took a file to the case. It was only when I was throwing the box away that I noticed the paper buried underneath all the packing material, that said "snap this part off for these model computers".

6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

:D :D heehee

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Did you happen to get the 109XL model?
    Cause I don't remember removing the front plate on my 109, and it works fine.

edit:ill check again when i get home.

8. Harry Sona thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks people

Thanks for the info. no paper in my box said anything about taking off teh front lip damn bar stewards. Now i have done that and its opening and stuff
    its not recognising cds is that becuase i need that patchburn thing or have a not plugged my wires in properly or is there a firmware update i need.

thanks in advance for your help

9. Miner Willy macrumors regular

now it doesn't work.

Should work fine, (you'll need patchburn for iDVD stuff etc i believe). If it's not recognising cd's or dvd's then make sure that you have the ide/ata cable in the right way around (should only go one way though) and that you have the little jumper at the side set on M for master. If that doesn't work then try C for cable select. Zap the P-RAM if you haven't already (command+P+R all at the same time on start up, it will the chime, let it do that three times then start up as normal) If it's still not working after that it's probably knackered.

HTH

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Unless you broke your ATA cable, it is in the right way. BUT it may not be in all the way. Make sure it is pushed in securely. (Major PITA but I've had issues like yours before and the cable was the issue)

Make sure you've zapped PRAM, like said above.

Repair Permissions in case a driver got messed up.

Install Patchburn (but check for OS compatibility)

11. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

13. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i know, if you need it that bad pull it out and install the firmware from a PC. Or, someone told me to find this program called Flashit_Kit to do the samething on the mac. But for some reason i couldn't get the program to work.

good luck.

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

My DVR-109 has firmware version 1.00 installed, and it works fine with everything. I would suggest trying it out before updating the firmware. It may work, it may not.