Pioneer DVD burn drives

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by continuum, Oct 31, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I have a very vague question...what's the major differences between the 106 and 107 series Pioneer DVD-RW drives?

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i would have to say the write speed would be the diffrence. The 106 had a 4x DVD-R write speed, while the 107 (the one i have) has a 8x write speed.

Another thing would have to be the formats it can burn on. But all that you would have to do to fix this is pop your drive into a PC and update the firmware for the specific drive you have. I had to do this to my drive, and it allowed me to burn on DVD+RW/R with this updated firmware. it also stated in the instructions that this firmware update would improve writing stability/performance.

3. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

why does it have to be done on a PC? I have the 106 which came with my G5...can I not burn on DVD RW?

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

You probably can. It just depends on when your drive was made and what formats were supported at the time of manufacturing. You have to do firmware updates from a PC because Pioneer markets most of their drives toward the PC market. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to develop firmware updates for both Macs, and PCs, so they do just PCs. I think?

You might need to clarify what firmware version you have first, but i think you may have an update. Your updated firmware can be downloaded here: Pioneer . Your drive will be labeled as a DVR-A06/106 from the firmware list.

But remember that your drive will need to be installed into a PC, and then run the updates. When done just uninstall, and then reinstall into your G5. It only took me about ten minutes to do all of this. Another thing, there is a program in the Utilities section that when ran on the PC, while your drive is in it, can tell you your device info. This will show you your current firmware version number, and device name (DVR-106). Use the firmware number from that program to determine weather or not you need the update for sure, but i think that you might.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You can burn DVD-R and DVD-RW

He is Talking about DVD+R and DVD+RW

6. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

what are the differences between + and -?

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

not sure of this myself. my brother once told me that the minus format was widely accepted and used before the plus format was released. This is why more DVD players use the minus format than the plus. It has to do with the plus format coming out later than the minus format.

As a result, many of the older drives are not compatable with this (+) format. But not to fear, your computer should be compatable since it is newer and the plus format has been around for a while now.

Forgot to say that they are pretty much the same other than this fact. They both hold 4.7 GB of info.

8. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

You want to search these forums for the answer. It has been covered ad-nauseam. If needed, search on my handle as I have answered this a few times myself.

Thx.

Max.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Look for FlashIt Kit 2. This allows you to flash your Mac Pioneer drive with either the official Pioneer updates (1.20 for the 107D) or use hacked versions of the original Pioneer firmware with region-free and other (12x rip speeds) goodies. I did mine last week and it works great. It also still says Apple supported/shipped.

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

11. Miner Willy macrumors regular

You're a brave man...

You're a brave man (or a fool hardy one ;) ) i toyed with the idea of doing it for ages and bottled out on several occasions. Anyway I one boring sunday afternoon I decided to take the plunge. After all the warnings (and there are a lot of them) I flashed my pioneer 107 too (in my still under guarentee) eMac. Didn't work the first couple of times, i'd not read the instructions properly and there were one or two brown moments as a result... After pressing yes to all the "are you sure?" questions I did it using FlashKit 2. Works great but my dvd player (a cheapie from asda) didn't the dvd burnt at too higher speed otherwise it's full ripping speed ahead!!

Read the warnings and proceed at your own risk

12. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

Thank you. I did the search and became ad-nauseated :) by all the info out there. My head is spinning but found the answers.