Pioneer DVR-104 in a Quicksilver?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by groovebuster, Sep 5, 2002.

1. groovebuster macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd rock from the sun...
    I would like to upgrade a QuickSilver with a CD-RW drive to a SuperDrive. Can I just build in the newer Pioneer DVR-104 (the QuicksSilvers had the DVR-103) and will it work flawlessly with MacOS X, iDVD and all the other uitilities? Or do I have to install some special hacks... or even worse: not everything will work properly?

I need to know the details, before I shell out the money for the drive. Not that I'll have a "nice" surprise...

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Paolo macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2001
    The Moon
    Just ask when you order the drive... your ordering it from apple right? just ask them, or call up an applestore and ask for a techy.

I'm pretty sure they will work, as it is only software support that is reequired!

Hope that helps!
  3. dmfresco macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2002
    My Quicksilver 933, ordered and built in June 2002 came with the DVR-104. In fact it was DOA and was promptly swapped out with a new DVR-104.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    You can't just order a superdrive from apple, they dont sell them separatly. You will have to get one off the internet. My new ddr powermac has the pioneer 104 in it. Toast and System Profiler says it is a dvd-rw. Is this correct, inform me please. i didnt think apple had shipped rw's yet

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    Yep, the 104 model is a DVD-RW/CDRW combo drive. A friend has one on his PC, he got it recently and although it was a pain to configure (That's XP for you). On the PC you can format a DVD-RW using a random write/rewrite format, mount the DVD-RW disk and then use it just like a hard drive. It seems almost as fast as the 16Mb/s hard drive on my beige G3 when used this way aswell.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't do this with the drive G4s come with, of course as far as I know you can't do any kind of data storage to DVD on the mac without shelling out for Toast. I'm sure you'd need some kind of system extension or something to treat a DVD-RW disk as a hard drive.
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Actually i think you can burn data to a dvd disc in the finder. for some reason i think i remember someone saying this. if you look in cd's and dvd's in jaguars preferences it says open finder for a blank dvd. havent tried it though. i have a dvd disc, i guess i should try,lol

7. TMJ1974 macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    check out

Just thought I'd point out the site

They have lots of reports of people upgrading Quicksilvers to have the Pioneer DVD-R/RW drive. They even have a pictorial/step-by-step installation guide.

I'm giving it a try next weekend, if the mailman brings it this week. From what I've read, it's actually not too difficult and there don't seem to be reports of many problems. One particular problem everyone seems to have though has something to do with sleep mode, just read that section carefully.

Good luck!