PIONEER DVR-107 8x external...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rocketmunkee, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Rocketmunkee macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    I am about to purchase an external Pioneer DVD-R drive. Either the supported 106 or the newly released 8x DVD-R drive from Pioneer, the 107.

Question: Does DVD Studio Pro support the Pioneer DVR-107? Or will it be a waste of time to buy this drive now and have to sit on my hands until Apple provides software to support it?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  3. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Nothing listed as of yet.
  4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    There are several listings there.

"Reviewer's Name: James S.
    Date Submitted: 1/24/2004
    Drive Type: DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives
    Drive Interface: IDE
    Drive Brand: Pioneer
    Drive Model Number: DVR-A07 (actually DVR-107D)
    Driver Used: Apple Hacked
    Mac Model: Apple G4 Dual CPU DDR
    Mac OS Version: OS X 10.3
    Reader Comments: Bootable (from CD), ran install up to point of writing to hard drive, ran disk utility on all installed hard drives.
    Used patchburn 2 beta to allow drive to write DVD media and erase and write DVD-RW media (don't have any DVD+RW media on hand). Burned successfully an erased DVD-RW disk from finder/diskburner, iTunes successfully burned a cdrom, DVD Studio Pro
    successfully burned a DVD-R at 4x 3.9gig in about 12 minutes. DVD Studio Pro ejected disk and DVD Player asked for region code and played the burned DVD-R when reloaded.

System profiler shows Disc Burning: DRDeviceSupportLevelUnsupported. (normal for patchburn II/added device profile) Drive replaced DVR-104 in top bay cable select jumper setting.

Mike Comments: I assume you had to remove the front tray edge to clear the MDD case openings.

(Reader FYI - Patchburn II for Panther download and other drive reports are linked at the main site Reader reports on Patchburn II for Panther.)"

I don't know where you were looking, but start here:
  5. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Will have to do some more searching at that site, but from what you just posted, it really seems like a hack to get the dvd-r to work, and it doesn't actually burn at 8x speed using the hack.

Or, was the hack used just to enable the system to burn a dvd? Whereas DVD Studio Pro supported up to 4x burn rate?

Hmmm... will probably have to wait then. :(
  6. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    You run the patch so that software from Apple will burn to the drive. It seems that 4x is all you get. If it were my money, I would buy the 107 and when Apple supports it, 8X burning will come with it. I would rather spend a few extra bucks now and get the speed down the road then buy one drive now and it's supported later and then have to buy another one to get 8X. I would expect to see Apple using this drive with the yet to be released updated/new systems or later this year at another update. Native support will come.
  7. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks Lan!

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    It doesn't matter with DVDSP, you build the dvd and it creates the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders on your hard drive if you want, like I do. You can then use toast or the apple finder to burn the files to DVD. You can use DVDSP to burn the DVD, but I have never done that, I always put it to hard drive, that way I can open up the VIDEO_TS folder in the DVD player and test it, and copy the VIDEO_TS folder to firewire drive and take it to another computer for a presentation. Transferring the VIDEO_TS to the FW it faster than burning in my case, plus it doesn't waste DVDs on drafts.

Anyway, you should be able to use the 107 drive with toast, I don't know about the finder, but I know that toast 6 supports 8X dvd. You don't have to worry about burning in DVDSP.
  9. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Thank you. Exactly what I needed to hear. Now, what is the difference between Pioneer drives marked with a 107 or a A07?
  10. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    DVR-A07 = Pioneer labeled drive with their firmware and software
    DVR-107 = OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)

OEM supplied units, like those used by Apple and other manufacturers, are identical, and can be relabeled (or no label) but are usually supplied with different software and sometimes different firmware too.,,2076_17573091_48224579,00.html
  11. kyanos macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    Any luck with the DVR-107 Yet?

I am trying to buy the same drive in an external housing.
    Have you had any luck with getting it to work with DVD studio pro or have you used another authoring program?
  12. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Re: Any luck with the DVR-107 Yet?

I bought the dvd burner and put it in an external enclosure (man those things get expensive). I installed Patchburn II and burned a CD with Toast 6. I haven't had time to try burning a DVD as of yet. But other people have told me that you can build the DVD in DVDSP, and then burn it with Toast. Toast supports the new Pioneer drive.

But I do recommend using Patchburn II. It will load the drivers and you should be good to go.

I will test the DVD burning capabilities tonight and give a hollar back.

13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    sometimes I fly right by posts, but here goes I just recently purchased a LaCie 2DVD-R CD-R and much to my enlightenment found out they use Pioneer hardware.
    I believe this is what I purchased:

but I bought mine from CDW for just over $100

I have had no problems with it either using Toast 6 that came with it or burning from iTunes.
    I have also attached the system screen shot.
  14. kyanos macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks Johnathon,

What is patchII and where do I get that?
    Thanks again for the help
  15. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004