Pioneer DVR-110

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nsheikh80, Aug 22, 2005.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I have a Powerbook and would like to buy the Pioneer DVR-110 and slip it in an external USB 2 enclosure for use with my Powerbook.

My question is, does anyone know if it is compatible with Mac OS X (Tiger)?

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I just saw this... It is meant to be the same as a DVR-109, except with DVD-RAM support...
    So it will work with tiger. You may need patchburn for it to get recognised in iTunes, etc though... Or maybe not at all, as it's external in your situation.
    Definitely work in Toast.

3. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Thanks for your reply.

4. Bakey macrumors 6502

I thought both the 109 & 110 supported RAM - I know the write speed of dual layer media has gone up from 6x [109] to 8x.

Other than that I really can't see a great deal of difference between the two! I'm also guessing that the 110 is -R DL capable straight out of the box, whereas the 109 needed the Firmware updater to allow this [well certainly on the earlier 109's it did].

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

DVR-110 does DVD-RAM, DVR-110D doesn't.

Anyway, I've ordered one of these (110D) to try out before upgrading a dozen or so machines. How are people's experiences been with these, now that they've been out a while? Any surprises?

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, as long as you are running iLife 05' you won't need Patchburn, it will work with all iApps.
    Sorry, my LaCie came with the NEC in it but oh the benifits of DVD-RAM :)

7. powerboy macrumors regular

Does anybody know what drive is in the new Power Macs?

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I think the new powermac's would probably have the DVR-110's in as they always use the newest pioneer drive,

Shadow;)

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Mm, but Apple drives get custom firmware. Early samples of this drive had some well reported bugs, and I was interested to see if there were and Mac-specific gotchas with aftermarket units that people had found in the wild. Oh well, I'll get to find out first hand tomorrow.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just a bit of followup. These are working out really well, although they did ship with the old buggy firmware (suboptimal speed was the main problem). Fortunately DVRFlash 2.2 is compatible, so there's no need to drag out a PC to get them up to proper performance; and DVD-RAM is supported on the DVR-110D after cross-flashing the drives to DVR-110 firmware.