Pioneer upgrade issue...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dex22, Feb 24, 2007.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

I just replaced my Pioneer DVR-104 with a new Pioneer DVR-111D. My old drive works great but, after a firmware upgrade a couple of years ago, it was limited to 1X for DVD burning.

The new drive works fine, and burns and reads everything I want, but it still shows up in Toast as limited to 1X in the burn window drop down menu.

Did I miss something?

2. Sped macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (MOT-RAZRV3xx/96.71.95R BER2.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; 11063081) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Opera 8.00 [en] UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

You should try Patch Burn. Its allows your to modify how the Mac sees the drive's properties.

3. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

OS X sees the drive correctly, as a 16x drive with dual layer support. I tried patchburn but it didn't make any difference.

I went and bought some new 16x DVD-R blanks, and now Toast happily burns at the claimed 16x - although the seconds count down veeery slooowly, so the former 45 minute burn is now a 4 minute burn that actually takes 8 minutes.

I'm going to experiment some more, and see if I can find anything else out about this...

I'd welcome any other ideas/experiments/suggestions from people.

4. hondak24 macrumors newbie

Burning at 8X takes about 8 mintues.
    Does your Pioneer 111D show up as Superdrive?

5. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to claim it's burning at 16x but actually burns at 8x, with the Toast counter showing the time for a 16x burn, but each second tick taking 2 seconds to happen.

OS X (10.4.8) and Toast report the drive as "Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D" and the system profiler reports:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D:

Firmware Revision: 1.23
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)
    Profile Path: None
    Cache: 2000 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

6. hondak24 macrumors newbie

I think the problem is with the older IDE hardware, which would only allow transfer rate capable of 8X burn.

7. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

The onboard ATA bus is ATA-100, and it does the same thing plugged into my ATA-133 RAID card. ATA-100 can easy support 60MB/sec - how much bandwidth does a 16x burner use?

Meanwhile, I'm happily using the burner as an 8x burner :)

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Have you tried using Disk Utility to burn a disk? That way you can see if it's a Toast-specific problem.

9. hondak24 macrumors newbie

I assumed you have older IDE hardware because of the age of Pioneer 104. Your bandwidth should support 16X speed burning, provided your harddrive is fast enough too.