Piracy

Discussion in 'Community' started by firewire2001, Jun 25, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Hotline is impossible to shut down since it is a group of servers for "backup" purposes. The government will probably only go after people like the article described.

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the gov busts university kids while the adware in kazaa goes untouched :roll

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

From the article:
    Damn straight. I "have a friend" that has a few pirated software titles. If he hadn't got them for nothing, there's no way he'd have bought them off the shelf...

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

"friend" eh, and what might his name be, bingo perhaps?:D ;) :D :D

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have a different kind of take on this. Look we all have *friends* that have done it, but the fact is that they would not have bought the software anyway. The main reason that people do this is because they cannot afford the programs, etc.

Now, that being said. If you have it and use it, and like it, and then get a job. Would you not buy the next version? I know that I would. I have *friends* who have. It is common sense really.

7. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

B2TM is right on point. That's my view with music as well. Hearing something gets you interested, you go out and buy albums. Using programs gets you interested and you buy liscences because it make life about three hundred times easier.

The problem is, the companies don't want you to sample and try, espexially the record companies. They spend a couple of million dollars, hell, tens of millions sometimes, to push a produc tin your face so you HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!! They don't want you to have an idea what your getting into, they want money.

8. kevinibook macrumors member

Exactly, who on earth can afford to buy Maya, Lightwave, FCP, or PS commercially. Only ppl who can recieve edu. discounts can somewhat afford it!

9. coolocity macrumors regular

If CDs are one of the cheapest products to make, and the most epensive to buy, of course kids and adults alike will continue getting software by any means necissary. I've never payed over $200 for software, if the price is rediculus, download it. I wouldn't blame you.

- John

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, part of the problem is that comapnies are trying to make as much money as possible. Microsoft las quarter posted a 40% profit. That is sick! If you borrowed money from a bank, they could not charge you 40% intrest. That is usery. It is illegal. Hey, I am all for people making a buck, I have to myself, but the fact is that software is rediculously expensive. It has gotten to the point that you cannot even afford to buy it anymore. Good thing that Macs come with everything that you need for it to work.

11. richierich macrumors newbie

for my first post ever..... I have to say that all the software companies complaining about copies actually make money from them!! This is due to having software at home to mess about with then getting work to buy it.

It also works at university - some of my 'friends' could never afford to buy the software so used 'dodgy' copies all of which means whoever 'they' work for now spends £thousands on the software to work on!

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good point, a home user can get away with using 'aquired' copies of applications, but as soon as they get into the workplace their company HAS to buy a full licence or they will get in BIG trouble.

13. coolocity macrumors regular

Piracy is a big problem where I work... we have 5 liscences to photoshop, yet, it's on almost every computer. Oopsie.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's really bad, your company could get in big, deep sh*t for it.

15. coolocity macrumors regular

Yeah, the techies, or at least that's what they think they are, think they can solve the problem by e-mailing almost everyone in the company about what's going on, and what they should do to get rid of it. Half of them are the people that got the software on the computer in the first place. At least it's a bus company.. not too many people know about the huge 300+ comp. network inside.

But hey, it's not my ass, I'm an intern. Speeking of which, I should get back to work... nawww

16. lemmon macrumors newbie

i completely agree.
    i HAVE spent more money since i've been able to download what i want and give it a REAL trial, not some 30 day bullsh!t that only halfassed works.

i do think that some companies are getting better about they're trials and such, which is good, because i would much rather go to apple's, adobe's, macromedia's, etc. site and download a trial directly from them, rather than spend stupid amounts of time searching for whatever i'm looking for.

and on the maya tip...
    i was impressed to see a "Full Version Maya PLE" cd in the new macaddict. but alas.....watermarked output :rolleyes:

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Still, it's a very dangerous for a company to be doing, it could land them in deep trouble if the wrong person was to find out.
    Why the hell do people in a bus company need photoshop anyway? :confused:

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I am a fan of trying before you buying, especially on software that is more then $30 (some games are in that category). Then again, IF I find that I like the software, I usually do go out and purchase a copy of it. I like how the Illustrator updates work. I purchased version 8 a few years back, and just recently updated to version 10 (OS X native). It cost about $150 for the update (less then 1/2 the full version cost). I wish I could purchase a copy of Photoshop, so that I can update cheap in the future, but I don't have the spare $$ to do that.

At work, we actually DON'T have more installs then we have licenses for. We [typically] ante up at the end of the year for any installs we have done that are over what we purchased over the previous year. We then also project for the next year and settle up at the end of that one. Quark is one that we cannot do that with, but we try to have a couple of extra licenses for when people come on board and need the software. We do have a corporate license for some software, like m$ office, which means we just have to tell corporate how many installs we have, and they take care of the rest.

19. coolocity macrumors regular

Ah, you see.. we have busses, and busses take people places, and how would people know when to get a bus without.. schedules! We make 'em in pagemaker, but make some pretty nice covers with photoshop.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Pagemaker... jeez... now that's a flash from the past......

My take on it.... is try it..... if you like it then buy it...... imagine if everyone pirated software..... and no one ever bought software.... eventually then ever software company would go bust...... no more updates and revisions....... totally hellish........:(

So I think people that pirate software should thank (in huge bold letters) those that do buy software and make it available for others to try....... :p

Same goes for music...... support the bands......... most of them other than the real big bands like U2, R.E.M., Chilis etc get totally crap royalties already....... by not buying music...... it really does put their future at risk......

Just a thought.....

21. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it's true that a download does not necessarily mean a sale in this case, however i think the arguement that if one could not afford it, one is not meant to have it, is equally valid here. regardless of class wars, racism, inequalities, etc etc, a society is nothing without some sort of order. just because there is disorder in one area of society does not necessarily give an individual the right to cause disorder in another area of society.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's getting harder to get a company probed by the IRS, but get an employee mad and the off-hand hint about pirated software can get a definite reaction.

23. kevinibook macrumors member

Try and get "Academic" purchasing options, I use it a A LOT I got Illustrator for 99$, GoLive/Livemotion for 89$ and MS office for 199$. These are REALLY good deals. So try and ask someone to get it for you with an Academic ID.:)