Pirates, are you on the RIAA list?

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyboy, Jul 27, 2003.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Apparently this site http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/ will tell you if you are on a list of users going to be subpoenaed by the RIAA.

Do you think the fact that there are 60 million illegal music sharers in the States mean that the authorities campaign ito prosecute and halt the practice is destined to fail?

Personally I hope not. I believe in democracy, and for whatever reason, when something is illegal, it is just that and carries a penalty - and that penalty applies to every man jack in the nation especially those dumb enough to break a law with the idea they cant or shouldn´t be prosecuted.

I also think when anything becomes freely available it loses its value. So by pirating, people are in fact slowly/rapidly going to kill the music industry as we know it. It is far from perfect but at least it is turning out massive amounts of music to cater for the masses. Take away the financial incentive or kill the dream for indies etc that one day they might be rich off their talents, and I think new groups will not risk all for their art.

Before anyone posts a self righteous counter claim about it being OK to rip off billionaire music industry gurus, or that music is important to their lives and therefore pirating when you are short of cash is justified,

a) put yourself in the place of those that have made their money in music

b) swap music for food

2. Independence macrumors regular

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

:eek:...I'd hate to have my username/IP Address on that list...:eek:

4. justinf77 macrumors regular

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

<takes deep breath>Oh thank god! I'm safe for the time being ;)</takes deep breath>

6. damax452 macrumors member

:)

It's OK to rip off billionaire music industry gurus.

Music is important to my life and therefore pirating when I am short of cash is justified.

Hehehe. :D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: :)

Exactly! ;) :eek:

<cheers!>BRAVO! BRAVO!</cheers!>

:D :D :D :D :D :D

8. Java macrumors regular

No match for me either. Yipee ;)

9. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Wouldn't it be funny if by entering your IP address in there, the RIAA put your name on a suspect list to be investigated. :)

10. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they were doing. it's not much of a stretch to go from bullying ISPs to this.

11. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Re: :)

Yes, and we all know that the music industry is made up entirely of billionaire gurus. :rolleyes:

When I'm short on cash stealing cars is justified, insurance pays for it anyway, right? And why do the insurance companies need more money.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: :)

true...only a minor portion of the music industry is made up of billionaire gurus. most of the industry is made up of people who don't have that kind of money. You might think it's okay to steal music because the companies shouldn't make money since they're making a lot on the first place, but it's not right.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wouldn't that be considered entrapment?

I checked on my own...nada. It's been a good while since I've downloaded anything, but they're more interested in those who are sharing files than the ones taking them. Still, we're all at risk if we've done either.

14. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Re: Re: :)

Exactly. That's why I also have nice clothes and computer equipment. You know the stores are covered against backing a truck up through the window and heisting. No harm, no foul. Give it a shot. I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to rationalize.

Now we just gotta think of a good excuse for murder and we can smite our enemies while listening to our stolen music in our stolen cars.

Dan

15. MacBytes macrumors bot

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I knew i wasnt on the techtv list, but had to make sure i was left off or something; luckily i am not on either site's list of those subpoenaed.

17. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Oh, yeah, right. I'm going to enter my IP address into this database so the RIAA knows I'm file sharing and worried about being caught.

Laughable. What a lame ploy to nail people. :rolleyes:

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the link billyboy. It is trully a good feeling when I got the "NO Match."

What is everyones reccommendation on donating or joining EEF?

19. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

Bit paranoid aren´t you? I did and Im not sharing music.

Have any pro P2P got anything to say? There were a few members ready to jump on me like a ton of bricks for raising my points in other threads, like "shut up noone´s interested in what you think, keep to the thread!". Now there is a balls out "lets talk the morals of pirating thread" they´re so far been silent. Must be too busy stealing from rich wannabe rockstars ;)

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The EFF doesn't work for the RIAA, not at all, not one bit.

To say that is insane.

I mean and whats wrong with your username, huh?

I'm a donater, like $10 currently, in small sums tho...

They are a great resource.

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

nope. thank god. i am not on that list or the techtv one....phew...

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

didn't you already say that like 5 posts up?

23. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

He must really be very thankful then. :D

24. Lord Bodak macrumors 6502

A lot of the morality of music sharing depends on the reasons people are using it.

Many people download mp3s for the same reason they listen to the radio-- to hear new music they wouldn't hear otherwise (ignoring the obvious complaints of radio stations playing the same stuff over and over).

If somebody says "hey, you should listen to this new song by so-and-so," are you going to go spend $15 on the CD? Probably not. But with p2p, you get the chance to go listen to the song and if you like it, buy it. That's how I use it-- Napster led me to buy way more CDs than I would have otherwise. Now that it's gone, CD sales have dropped off across the industry. This is not a coincidence.

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

He was making sure... haha.