Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by saunders45, Jun 2, 2006.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

He drugged you huh....sure you didn't see what your mind wanted you to see...that stuff can get to you:)

I want to watch this movie...looks interesting

Bless

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This trailer has been around for awhile right?

I'll be seeing it.

4. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I can't wait to see it. I loved the first one, and this one looks pretty nifty too. Johnny Depp as Cap'n Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite performance/characters ever, right behind Harrison Ford as Han Solo/Indiana Jones and Arnie as The Terminator. Advance ticket slaes are already 20 times over the last one. What are your thoughts.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I cant wait!!! :)

I will probably go today or tomorrow.

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I cant wait either. Ill see it right after work today. I hardly heard any negative reviews so far and the couple I have seen are just really nit-picky and over the top ridiculous. Besides, who really cares what professional reviewers think any way?

On a slightly side note, I heard that at Disneyland (maybe World, too, I dont know), they updated the Pirates ride to include Jack Sparrow swordfighting the main bad guy from the first movie (forget his name, sorry). And it seems like they added something else, but I forget. Anyone else heard this? Sounds sweet to me!

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Disneyland updated there Pirates ride to feature Captain Barbosa (I believe his name is...) sword fighting w/ Jack Sparrow -- he is also seen on the two fighting ships (after the waterfall -- at least on the Disney World ride...not sure if they are the exact same ride or not). I also heard there is a short animation of Davey Jones in a waterfall or something along those lines.

I hope they carry over the upgrade to the WDW Pirates ride -- I'd love to check it out in person.

...and I definitely plan on seeing it today, after work.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Went and saw it this morning with the wife.

Pretty darn good although not quite as good as the original. I think it mainly has to do with how original the original was. Jack Sparrow was unlike any character I'd ever seen in a movie before, now he's just Jack Sparrow.

Good villains, decent sword fights, ends interestingly.

I won't give away anything since it's opening day...

9. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I went to a staff preview on Wednesday night. I feel asleep and thought the film was rubbish. Then again, I haven't saw the first one.

Hopefully I will get to see Superman Returns this Wednesday.

10. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Just heard on NPR that Keith Richards (who was Johnny Depp's inspiration for "Captain" Jack Sparrow) has signed on for the 3rd installment of the film.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until wednesday to see the film. The first one is among my most re-watchable movies. That flick never gets old.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The San Francisco Chronicle completely panned it (very mild spoiler alert) in yesterday's paper. The "Little Man" fell asleep...it's completely sapped any desire I had to see it in the theatres. I'll wait for the DVD.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Yawn.

Seems like the same old story to me - once in a while Hollywood comes up with a decent idea for a film, then ruins it by beating it to death via sequels and basically copying the plot line over and over again.

13. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

And most of the critics panned the first one also. They are mostly indie movie snobs. Only every once in a great while do they actually agree with the target audience of a movie, and that's because they fear for their lives being ended by the masses.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

1) If you did not like the first one or have not seen it you probably won't like this one. There are a lot of inside jokes that require knowledge of the first movie.

2) This is definitely not as good as the first one, which I believe is mostly due to the originality being lost.

3) Critics often speak of Depp's character as lacking direction in this movie, I believe this is intentional and if the critics don't see that they weren't watching the same movie I was.

If you loved the first one, you'll probably like this one, if you only liked the first one you'll probably be disappointed in this one. Some have tried to paint it as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Pirates trilogy. They are no-where close, it's more of the Matrix Reloaded of the trilogy (not as good as the first but has potential if the third is done well)*... which disappoints me but maybe they can pull it off with the third...

*I left Matrix Reloaded with high hopes for the third one... unfortunately they didn't pull it off in the end.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I find that I agree with Mick LaSalle the vast majority of the time. He gave the first one an average grade, which I agreed with. He was a bit harsh in his commentary on the first one, but the overall impression I agreed with.

He loved movies like Mission: Impossible III, Spider Man 2, so it's not the genre.

16. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

I just ordered my tickets for tonight! :D Can't wait to see it.

17. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Two movies I absoutely hated. The only good part about Mi:III was Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Spiderman was just stupid. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Trying to find tickets has been a pain though. I finally got some for a 6:30 showing tonight.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

So is Keef in this most current release???

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

He was supposed to be (at least that's what was reported in October 2004), but it turns out not to have happened.

I'll believe he's in #3 when I see it.

20. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I can't remember where I saw it, but Depp confirmed it as did Bruckheimer and Verbinski in an interview.

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Depp also said that it "looked like" Richards would be in #2, but he's not.

As Depp himself says about Richards appearing in #3, "You never say it's definite until the guy steps on the set and the camera is rolling. But it's looking very, very good."

22. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

for the most part, i really enjoyed it.

the ending sucked.

nuff said.

edit: forgot to mention verbinski is my friend's uncle.. cool stuff..

23. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

sucked as in empire strikes back cliffhanger, or sucks as in a LOST cliffhanger?

24. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

the way it ended was much more a lost like cliffhanger..

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I might netflix it, but I'm concerned by the trailers. Can anybody who has seen it confirm that (unlike my impression from the trailers) the entire movie isn't a constant reference to the first/rehashing of the same lines?