Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
nbs2 said:
I might netflix it, but I'm concerned by the trailers. Can anybody who has seen it confirm that (unlike my impression from the trailers) the entire movie isn't a constant reference to the first/rehashing of the same lines?
It'd be a totally subjective comment on my part, but there was a little bit of that, but it seemed almost necessary due to the time between the two. I would say that you shouldn't be disappointed. If you are, then like I said...I think the question can only result in a subjective answer. ;)

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
it was cute
not 'amazing'
but cute

the reviewers really did pan it though
i read the WSJ and the AP reviews
both said it was lame

i agree- it wasn't - holy cow amazin

but- it was fun
i jumped @ one point

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It was a nice movie.. but i cant wait for the next one.. I just haited how it just left me hanging at the end.;)

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I saw it last night. A great movie but not as good as the first I thought. I heard critic say that Jack was much more loopy in this movie, but I saw no evidence of that. Anyways, everyone should go see this movie.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
I enjoyed it - like most sequels it didn't have the power of the first - other posters mentioned the characters weren't new and fresh, which is true. But - I disagree with those that feel the episodic paradigm that Hollywood is following means constantly watered down versions of the originals. The first movie in a series is often very gripping (new characters and ideas...) the movies after that develop those concepts further. I enjoy the journey. Some do it better than others - but I think this series of films will continue to be good. And the ending is totally a cliffhanger to the third installment.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
virus1 said:
you mean the guy in the bushes jumped will?

i sat in the back, and everybody jumped..

Yes, that bit. I was leaning forward picking up popcorn from the box on the floor, and it happened, and I just jumped back. :p

Overall, the film was quite good, overly complex plot, and for my money, the massive fighting bits (where the chest was) were a little OTT.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
***CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I really wanted to like it. But after two and a half hours, I asked myself "What was the point?"

It just really seemed like a sequel that spawned from a closed book. The jokes referring to the first movie grew old after the 20th one. Five too many rum jokes.

Maybe the third one will justify this movie. Maybe. But the storyline kept getting convoluted. The action scenes grew rather corny and maintained that level. People seemed to enter and leave randomly without much thought of how anyone appeared where they did later on.

Just off the top of my head, here's some ways this movie tried to keep reminding people it was a sequel, instead of a movie to stand on its own...

"Hide your rum."
"Low on gunpowder, use the rum."
"Where's the dog with the keys?"
Inmates repeating the stretching out image, except now to Kierra.
The constant referencing to Jack Sparrow as Captain in the beginning.
"This will be the time you almost... Jack Sparrow" after the tide hits him
Riding a turtle.
Slapping Will and telling him to pass it on to Jack.

When the movie tried to stand on its own, they made the script way more complicated than it needed to be.

I dunno..... it's grossing millions, what do I know?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Is the "Dead Man's Chest" title anything to do with Keira? :D :p hehe, sorry, couldn't resist!

pincho

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Sydney, Australia
saw it last night, i thought it was awesome :D loved both the original and this. Definetly a cliffhanger ending.

Funny jokes, interesting plot, cant wait for no. 3 :D

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Also saw it last night. The first one is one of my favorite movies, and this one I liked. It was very enjoyable. I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp, and he is great in this movie. Like others have said, I don't know if I liked it as much as the first, but it's definitely worth seeing. I will probably see it again and then make my decision, I saw the first one 3 times in theatres (the third time was not my choice). I think this one was just a setup for the third one (well, obviously), so I'm really looking forward to that one...

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I just got home from seeing it and I must say I quite enjoyed it. Perhaps a little drawn out but overall a good film. I haven't actually seen the first one in it's entirety, so I didn't find any references to it irritating.

Things I really liked about it:
- It looked and sounded excellent.
- There were several superb moments of utter ridiculousness that made me burst out laughing (and I mean that in a good way).
- Great acting, particularly Johnny Depp's mincing mannerisms. They cracked me up.

As I said already the only real downside was that it should have been a bit shorter.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment! :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
dietcokevanilla said:
Is the "Dead Man's Chest" title anything to do with Keira? :D :p

Ahhh, I was waiting for some kind of joke about that. :p Good one. :D

Also, this is quite funny...

ak3c.jpg

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
I just want to know why they fired all the editors and script writers for the second film? Two and half hours that meanders all over the place and can't be saved by some very good actors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.