Pirates of the Carribbean DVD and Apple Computers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ferrisb, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ferrisb macrumors member

Last night I tried to access the special computer features of the POTC DVD in my PowerMac, but they wouldn't work. Everytime the disc would just play the preview thing telling me what I would be seeing if I put the disc in my computer. Finally, I just started screaming at the disc - "But you're in my freaking computer! What's your problem?!"

Has anyone else had this problem with DVD-ROM features and Mac's? Or am I just doing something wrong? It's a G5, dual 2.0 with Panther, so it's not an old machine.

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Common problem. Due to the prevalence of Windows in the OS market, DVD-ROM features on movie DVD's are generally made to work with Windows and not Mac OS. On the plastic case, inside the paper box, POTC it says "DVD-ROM features are not available on Apple Mac OS". Pity, they don't make such statements visible on the outside of the packaging.
    You might have to wait for VPC7.

3. m.r.m. macrumors regular

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Sounds familiar

When I tried to backup my copy of Pirates Of The Carribbean, Handbrake wouldn't even recognize the main video track. It would only allow me to backup transitions and special features on the DVD. Bummer.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Sounds familiar

When I tried to backup my copy of Pirates Of The Carribbean, Handbrake wouldn't even recognize the main video track. It would only allow me to backup transitions and special features on the DVD. Bummer.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Mac the Ripper works.

7. ferrisb thread starter macrumors member

That sucks. I tried looking on the package for anything mention that it wouldn't work on the mac, but I couldn't find it. Oh well. :(

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you open up the DVD itself, you'll see a 'common' folder, that's where all the installers are, you'll notice there are only *.exe installers.

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

If you think that's bad, on my Invader Zim DVD, a whole episode doesn't play, saying that the disc is scratched, etc. The disc is in perfect condition, and plays fine on my standalone DVD player.

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's funny, my copy of DOOM DOOM DOOM (yes folks, that's really the name of the first Invader ZIM DVD volume :p ) works just fine on my TiBook. I'm still running Jaguar though, maybe a different version of Apple's DVD Player is the problem?

I do know that when I burned Verbatim CD-R's in the earlier versions of iTunes, they worked in other players, but in iTunes 4.5 discs from the same package as the ones that worked don't play in anything else but a Mac. And I bought Verbatim because it was one of the brands recommended for use with Apple's burners! It made me wonder if different versions of software have different media tolerances....

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

It's just the episode "Walk of Doom" that doesn't play. The drive makes a clicking noise for like 30 seconds before giving me an error message.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

13. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

The comment regarding not working on Mac OS is in small print. Again for all the other posters, this is only referring to the DVD-ROM extra features on the movie disc, not the movie itself.

14. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

That's ok, not that great of an Episode anyway... :p

Ferrisb, I checked out those special features on my friend's PC laptop when I first got the PotC DVD. There's not a whole lot more too see, IIRC. But we stopped watching it after about 30 mins because the crappy DVD player she had skipped all the time... and of course Windows Media Player was even worse. Try watching it on a friend's pc if you know any. Good Luck.

15. ferrisb thread starter macrumors member

I know it's been a while, but I figured out how to view what I wanted the other day. I just browsed through the dvd files until I found the QuickTime files that were used for the extra dvd-rom stuff. They were ok to watch, but kindof a let down after all the extra work I had to do just to watch them. The extra features really just boiled down to html pages with embedded QuickTime files.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And why couldn't Disney make HTML files with embedded QT movies work in OSX, I don't know.