Pirates of the Carribean

Discussion in 'Community' started by LethalWolfe, Jul 13, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just got back. And even though the movie is 2:25 it's a grand adventure all the way. I was unsure about this movie but omg I'm buying it on DVD and I'll probably see it once more in the theaters.

It's a great, humorous, action romp that doesn't take itself seriously and has more twists and turns than yer standard aciton flick.

Well worth the money. :)

Lethal

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I liked it also, but wish that it wasn't so long. Pirates are cool, but I can't take 2 and a half hours of them.

P-Worm

3. job macrumors 68040

job

I liked it. It seemed fairly original when compared to a lot of the other summer movies. I saw the 10:50 PM showing at my local cinema with some friends from work. Didn't get out until 1:30AM. :D

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I also enjoyed it. It was better then I expected. Of course I usually enjoy any movie involving seafaring .

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wow!

It looks so corny and everyone has liked it so far... I'm very suprised. I gotta talk to some people about seeing it now.

scem0

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It is corny and that's why everyone has liked it. It was quite entertaining. Nothing ground-breaking or earth-shattering, but a very entertaining and fun, freewheeling movie nonetheless.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

but it doesn't just look corny.

It looks corny to the point of stupidity.

>> Trys to think of an example <<

Dude where's my car... nah that was a great movie. I guess it works though because it was increadibly stupid, but it was extremely funny at the same time.

But POTC doesn't look funny - it just looks corny. Dude where's my car at least looked funny as well as corny.

scem0

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You haven't seen it though, so how can you tell me that it looks too stupid? I've seen it and I can tell you it's not a stupid movie, just kind of hokey at times. In a good way.

9. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Both are corny...but Pirates is a FUN movie, Dude was a DUMB movie, that's the difference.

Yes, it pulls the Disney type stuff along. Yes, it's a freaking Pirate movie. But that doesn't matter, what matters is that you are having fun watching these well played characters on screen (BTW Depp owns 'Capt. Jack Sparrow'), a great (altho Disney) story and script, and well done CG.
    Its FUN, so go see it!

scem0::Take a girl to this movie, if you have a girlfriend and if not get one, and take her to see this movie, Orlando and Depp should certainly send her heart a flutter, so you could hopefully be able to take advatage of this ;). This is most certanly one of those movies that you and her can enjoy.

10. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was weary of it when I saw the trailer, but it is a very entertaining movie. DWMC was just dumb. Not funny. Just stupid, IMO. POTC is funny in a camp/tougne-in-cheek and slightly over-the-top kinda way. The 2nd scene in the movie, which introduces Johnny Depp's character, sets the tone for the whole movie, IMO. None of the characters take themselves too seriously, at times the movie pokes fun at itself and it's genre, and all in all it is a light hearted, funny, action movie. It kinda reminds me of Maverick w/Mel Gibson (which I loved). It has a similar sense of humor where the funny parts don't come from one-liners or "in your face humor" but from the characters interacting w/each other. It also has a lot of subtle humor, which I love. But I guess not everyone does 'cause on more than one occasion I was the only one busting up in the theater. So, to close my rant I'll just say this. Go into it expecting a fun, light-hearted action movie w/a very eccentric Capt. Jack Swallow (Depp) and prepare to be entertained for 2 1/2 hours. :)

Lethal

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I was suprised I liked it! This is not a great movie, but it is entertaining. Johnny Depp makes the movie. I took my 14 year old son and some friends and they all loved it. The idea of making a movie based on a Disneyland ride just about made me sick, so my expectations were very low. The actors pulled it off though. Just remember that "the pirate's code is more of a guideline than a rule" and you will get the spirit of the movie.

I also saw LXG and it was horrible. Save your money.

12. Glossybear macrumors member

13. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i just got back, what an awesome flick.
    depp's charicter is just halarious and his introduction is superb, what with that little boat :D, best acting by him since fear and loathing.
    orlando did verry well, his swordsmanship must have been helped by his work in LORT, and his charicter was well suited to his acting style. a wonderful flick all around, well worth the 8 bucks it costs to see it.
    i especially liked the cgi in the fight in the cave with the moonlight coming in throught the roof.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i also really enjoyed the movie. i thought it looked like garbage in the trailers. Johnny Depp really made the movie enjoyable. It just never takes itself seriously, and the bit characters play their parts well. It knows the whole time that it is a pirate movie, and relishes in that fact. I'm probably gonna see it again.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i didnt like, probably wont buy it on dvd either. but i must admit, they did a more than excellent job on the movie. it was amazing how they would fade in and out of the moon light..well you know what happens, dont want to spoil anything. it just seemed to long and not enough action. i guess it was bad seeing this movie right after bad boys 2 (best movie i have seen all summer). jack sparrow was very entertaining. he played the part extremly well. i think my girlfriend liked the movie for all the wrong reasons....johnny depp :rolleyes:

iJon

16. ecino1 macrumors member

nope

I didn't really like it either. I mean, I would assume it would be categorized as some form of adventure genre, which I enjoy, but the whole character of Depp was kinda goofy. It was funny to some extent, but it just seemed too odd at times. Also the whole deal with the skeletons was corny. If you're into this type of flick you will enjoy it, but if you arent then save a few bucks and wait for the DVD realease or when it comes to PPV.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Johnny Depp is a good actor, and he provided a great performance. It was meant to be a family movie and so it lived up to that. In the summer it's nice to have a movie that the whole family can attend!

18. willow041080 macrumors newbie

ok

it was good but a bit too long. the same fault that many movies have now. It seem to last forever at the dullest moments.

19. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I enjoyed it tremendously.

The fun-factor was really evident in this film. My girlfriend and I enjoyed it tremendously. It's interesting how they are now shooting for a second part to this story. I wonder what that could be, however, I'll go see that one too.

20. Flickta macrumors 6502

I haven't seen the Movie, but I already hate it. It appearance turned the sequel to the best Pirates-like game ever - "Corsairs" by Akella ( www.akella.com ) into "Pirates of the Carribean"... By cutting half of the plot, adding those UNREAL skeletons etc. It's a shame.

P.S. BTW, Corsairs is a game for the PC.

21. Perci Mac macrumors member

I enjoyed the movie. It was not overly serious or overly silly. Dep made it good and Bloom proved excellent in his part.

22. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    haven't seen it yet, probaby wait for it on DVD as there's way too many films i've yet to see, i haven't had time to go see T3 yet! but it looks interesting enough...

oh, and it's Caribbean, not Carribean, pronounced, cah rih bee an, not cah rib ee an :)

23. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I just loved "Pirates." It's not important cinema, but it knows that and handles itself with style, grace, and wit--coming in no small part from Johnny Depp.

I also always love movies made up of perfect little moments, and there were so many! Elizabeth gasping for breath in that dress, Capt. Sparrow's "grand" entrance into Port Royal, "Why is there no RUM?!?", the Monkey of DEATH--and yet, they didn't completely stereotype anyone, everything tied together, and it ended with everyone getting exactly what they deserved. Happiness. :)

LXG, though--whoof. Save your money. The suspenders of my disbelief stretched and snapped under the pretentious weight of the overblown CGI. Surely there were compensation issues involved in the design of the Nautilus. And my least favorite thing about so very many action movies is here in spades: "Look at our gorgeous set/city/vehicle/etc...isn't it neat? Isn't our design work amazing? The only way it could be better is if we....BLOW IT UP!!" Argh. Can't wait to see how much better the graphic novel is.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Loved it. Saw it last night and was so involved in it that I didn't even notice that it was well over 2 hours long.

Stayed to the end and caught the little bit after the credits that sets up a sequel...;)

Highly recommend going, you'll enjoy it.

D

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

going tonight. should be good... will see how it compares to t3 which i saw wednesday...