pirates of the slicon valley ? is it true

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mith, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mith macrumors regular

i need a history lesson lol.,

here is the link, whole movie is on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im589uTchKs

anyz how much of the movie is true, and can someone tell me what is not , in the movie Bill Gates wears a Apple shirt, he is to work for Apple?? i am so confused

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

most of it is basically true, the apple t-shirt was because of microsoft developing for mac, to be honest, its not a great film, though obviously interesting to us mac geeks lol, they got ballmers annoyingness spot on though ;)

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I think it's time they call Noah Wiley and Anthony Michael Hall, and make a sequel picking up where #1 left off.

We all know there's been a bit of a story to be told.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah..I would be interested in a sequel, as long as it was done in similar low key fashion.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm wearing a hat that says "SAAB" on it - I don't work for them.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only somewhat. If you're interested in the history, read a good book on the subject.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There was at least one documentary with "Nerds" in the title that was more factual and less dramatic but it was basically all of Silicon Valley, not just Apple and Microsoft.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Triumph of the Nerds." It was on PBS many years ago, and was based on a book by Robert X. Cringely called "Accidental Empires." This is one of the books I'd recommend reading instead of watching "Pirates."

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Triumph of the Nerds is what you're thinking of, but it's not as entertaining as Pirates of Silicon Valley, and I'm not sure that it really gives you as good of an idea of how things went, despite a handful of inaccuracies in Pirates.

I would absolutely LOVE for them to make a sequel. So much has happened since Pirates left off that anyone who hasn't been watching the industry in these past several years would really be misled by the film.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think "Triumph" is far better, because it's actual history and "Pirates" is largely fictionalized. It's also quite entertaining, IMO. I don't know where you'd find it anymore, though.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, that's the one. Christine Comaford and quite a few other journalists of the time were involved. It wasn't about acting. It was about reality.

There should be more than one and I believe the original is available through PBS.

Triumph showed how it was. It wasn't sensationalised or as inaccurate as Pirates was, though the bit about the smell wasn't sensationalised. It was downplayed.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe the DVD includes all three installments, though one of the user comments on Amazon notes that they edited the series somewhat to make it fit the DVD format.

16. protozoa macrumors regular

I just recently saw Pirates of Silicon Valley.

I thought it was interesting in that it provided a dramatic stage for my understanding of the whole Jobs/Gates story. I am reading a fantastic book called Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire, and have seen the DVD titled Triumph of the Nerds. So, based on those sources, quite a bit of "Pirates" is based on real events... or at least universally accepted urban legends. :D

The things that I saw that didn't seem to match "reality" were mostly minor. For instance, there was a scene where Gates was visiting IBM that screwed up some of the details. My understanding is that he purchased a tie at a department store on the way to the meeting... not from a guy in a restroom like in the movie. Also, the scene in the movie looked like it was shot in New York or somewhere. The initial meetings were at an IBM facility in Boca Raton, FL. The movie also sort of made that scene look like gates initiated the contact with IBM. He did not. Big Blue came looking for him. At another point in the movie, Gates runs into Paul Allen's car with a bulldozer. I believe the story was that he almost ran over his own Porsche, not that he hit Allen's car. In the movie, Gates immediately drops out of Harvard to work on the contract at MITS. In reality, I believe he only worked in New Mexico for a Summer before returning to Harvard. He dropped out of Harvard about a year later.

The one thing that "Priates" added to my understanding was how mean Jobs has been at times. There is a scene in the movie where he enters a room while a software engineer is being interviewed for a position at Apple. Jobs berates and embarrasses the man so bad that the poor guy looks like he is about to cry. That scene just sort of made me cringe. Frankly, the movie sort of made me have some second thoughts about buying a Mac (which I have yet to do).

In all fairness, I know that Gates has been cruel to his employees at times. I'm neutral enough on the PC/Mac rivalry to even think that "Pirates" comes across as anti-Mac propaganda. Other than yelling at people, Gates has not been above business moves that sort of screw people over... like buying a DOS system for $50K and turning around and making billions on it... or playing hard ball with MITS or IBM... or using Harvard's mainframe to create commercial products. Microsoft apologists would say it was just good business, but it sure wasn't always pretty. The "Pirates" movie seemed to play down things that made Gates look bad (it didn't include any scenes of his obnoxious youth). For instance, the movie spent alot of time focusing on Jobs' screwed up relationship with his daughter, and didn't really touch on Gates' personal life (other than to show a scene where Steve Ballmer was sort of teasing him about his lack of a personal life).

I would normally be more at home around a hippie (like Jobs) than I would a nerd (like Gates)... but the movie made Jobs look much more like a crazy and abusive megalomaniac. At least, that was my impression.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've put your finger on some of the inaccuracies in "Pirates." I recall there being others, but it's been years since I've seen this movie. I do remember rolling my eyes quite a bit though. You might also want to read "Overdrive," the follow-up to "Hard Drive." These books were written by solid journalists. The book "Gates" by Manes and Andrews is also pretty good. All of them are worth reading, if you find actual events to be even more entertaining than fiction.

Both Jobs and Gates are megalomaniacal control freaks in their own ways, as are a lot of successful businesspeople. But Gates really takes the prize in this contest IMO. He believes in winning at all costs, and just for the sake of winning.

18. Nick T. macrumors regular

19. protozoa macrumors regular

I guess it all depends on what version of meglomania you dislike the most. :D

Me, I can handle a "win at all cost" ideology. I can even handle having a mean boss who gets off on yelling at people (heck, I was in the Army for 12 years!). But, if Steve Jobs is at all like the character in "Pirates" I would have been one of those Apple employees who tried to beat the crap out of him.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check them out.

20. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Check your local library :D

[​IMG]

I've yet to get a chance to watch it though. I wonder if this will ever make it's way to the iTms? ;)

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well as you know from reading "Hard Drive," Gates has a habit of throwing hissy fits too.

22. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

While were on the subject, is there a really good, accurate book on Steve Jobs?

23. protozoa macrumors regular

Oh yeah. I said that in my previous post (#16, paragraph next to last).

My point is that I'd much rather have some nut case yelling at me for not generating some work ten minutes faster.... than to have a shoeless psycho asking me details about my sex life (like the Jobs character did in this movie).

I had a boss for a couple years that I was in the Army who threw a fit because some guy took some time off when his mother died. He was an absolute head case. So, I know what it's like to work for crazy idiots.

From what I understood, at least Bill Gates was at least mission oriented in his abusive behavior. Jobs appears to simply be a raving lunatic.

24. wctaiwan macrumors newbie

I don't know about that, but I did enjoy reading about Jobs and some former Apple execs at http://www.lowendmac.com/orchard/. Can't say I respect Jobs as much as I used to after reading that though.

wctaiwan

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't get that impression exactly. I mean, I do think they get to be judged at least some for the products their respective companies make. I believe that Jobs is a lunatic in pursuit of excellence whereas Gates is a lunatic in pursuit of mediocrity. That said, I don't know how much time I'd like to spend in a room alone with either one of them.