Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
"fanboy": thanks I was trying to remember that word

Why you should take this little bit as a perfect portrayal and the gospel is simply incomprehensible.

Actually, I think I've already explained why it is comprehensible.

Everything I know about Gates, the little I know about Jobs, and the real life drama during the birth of the industry is accurately portrayed in that movie*... to even include some seemingly worthless details that are never fully explained in the plot (such as the inclusion of Miriam Lubow's character). Why would the screenwriters stay so true to telling Gates' side of the story, but turn around and "sensationalize" Jobs' personality???!

There is no possible way that you can convince me that this is the case. It makes absolutely no sense. The best you could hope for might be to dig up some evidence that Microsoft financed the movie. :D

*caveat: Early in this thread, I did point out areas where the movie is incorrect. They were fairly unimportant details. On all the big stuff (to include the personalities of Gates, Wozniak, and Ballmer) the movie was spot-on.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
That scene just sort of made me cringe. Frankly, the movie sort of made me have some second thoughts about buying a Mac (which I have yet to do).

Dude, I don't mean any disrespect but in all honesty that is really a stupid statement to make. You sound like some of the other idiots that say, "Mac users are smug so they make me not want to buy a Mac:.

It's stupid to deprive yourself of an electronics object because of the people using it or the history of the company's founder.
Some of you guys need to check yourselves. You may not want to buy a Mac because of how certain people act? Your not living with these people.:rolleyes: We all really should think twice about buying a Windows PC because Gates snaked his way through to make his company successful.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Dude, I don't mean any disrespect but in all honesty that is really a stupid statement to make. You sound like some of the other idiots that say, "Mac users are smug so they make me not want to buy a Mac:.

It's stupid to deprive yourself of an electronics object because of the people using it or the history of the company's founder.
Some of you guys need to check yourselves. You may not want to buy a Mac because of how certain people act? Your not living with these people.:rolleyes: We all really should think twice about buying a Windows PC because Gates snaked his way through to make his company successful.
You just said it's stupid to deprive yourself of an electronics object because of the people using it or the history of the company's founder, then your reasons for having people avoid Windows PCs like the plague is for those very reasons. I guess you're an Apple fanboy.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
You just said it's stupid to deprive yourself of an electronics object because of the people using it or the history of the company's founder, then your reasons for having people avoid Windows PCs like the plague is for those very reasons. I guess you're an Apple fanboy.

No, you misunderstood me. I should've reworded my post. That was sarcasm. I was saying if people feel like avoiding Macs because of the people that use them then we should all ditch Windows for the same reasons. I was making a point not making a shot against Windows.
I was saying that it makes no sense for anyone to ditch any product just because of some of the people that act in a rude way.
So I digress, I didn't write my post clearly for you to understand.

BTW, refrain from the Fanboy name calling, I'm sure you are bigger than that.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna

I completely disagree. If I don't like someone, I'll do whatever I can to avoid sending them money. That's exactly what I'm doing in this case.

People do it all the time. The reasons can include things like discovering the company contributes to a political candidate they don't like, finding out the company isn't eco-friendly, finding out that the company exploits workers, finding out that the company outsources components (putting domestic workers out of work), etc, etc, etc.

Wow, it only took three pages for someone to call someone else "stupid" (which is extra ironic since the same guy gets all offended when he is called a fanboy). :D That's not too impressive.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
OK, the scene is fiction. The entire teleplay was fiction. It was based on a fictionalized version of history. Have you ever seen anything on TV that was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but? Why you should take this little bit as a perfect portrayal and the gospel is simply incomprehensible. And don't think for a minute that there was any intent to portray the key characters in a perfectly representative manner, consistent with actual reality. Context is everything.

The odd part of this discussion is that I thought we'd settled the issue of whether "Pirates" is factual or largely fictional. I thought all were in agreement that a fairer telling of the history this industry and its personalities can be had by reading books written by journalists, not by watching TV movies. Several good reads were mentioned.

Another observation: I personally find it very peculiar that people in general have so little interest in knowing about the companies and individuals who've had such an enormous impact on our daily lives over the last 30 years. I think this is perhaps why some latch onto a movie like "Pirates" and are prepared to accept that it is essentially historical truth. It's seems that mythology has taken over from history. That's a bit disturbing to me.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes. -Confucius

The odd part of this discussion is that I thought we'd settled the issue of whether "Pirates" is factual or largely fictional. I thought all were in agreement .

Here's a quote from my first post in this thread (I think it's post #16 or something)...

"The things that I saw that didn't seem to match "reality" were mostly minor."

As I've mentioned, the movie includes some impressive details that really do not drive the dramatic plot. I would have a hard time believing that the writers felt it important to include that material, while just making up parts that are significant (like the personality and antics of Steve Jobs).

You claim that the "interview scene" I linked from YouTube was fiction. How do you know this? Or, perhaps the question should be... why do you suspect this? Are you the one person in the world who doesn't realize that Jobs is very capable of berating a person (and generally acting like a lunatic)?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Here's a quote from my first post in this thread (I think it's post #16 or something)...

"The things that I saw that didn't seem to match "reality" were mostly minor."

As I've mentioned, the movie includes some impressive details that really do not drive the dramatic plot. I would have a hard time believing that the writers felt it important to include that material, while just making up parts that are significant (like the personality and antics of Steve Jobs).

You claim that the "interview scene" I linked from YouTube was fiction. How do you know this? Or, perhaps the question should be... why do you suspect this? Are you the one person in the world who doesn't realize that Jobs is very capable of berating a person (and generally acting like a lunatic)?

I made no such claim. My other opinions were stated clearly enough, and I don't think they need repetition.

You seem to be at the point of trying to make this personal. I'm happy to discuss this topic, but not on those terms. Okay?

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
I made no such claim. My other opinions were stated clearly enough, and I don't think they need repetition.

You seem to be at the point of trying to make this personal. I'm happy to discuss this topic, but not on those terms. Okay?

You're right, it was the other person who claimed the scene was fictional. My apologies. However, I categorically deny that I have posted anything in this thread that has "made it personal."

So.... what are you trying to say then?

So you agree that it's quite possible that the scene in the movie was not fiction. Okay. What's your beef with my decision to boycott the products of a guy who behaves in a way that disgusts me?

People do it all the time. My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. As a result, he will not ride in my Mazda. The Religious Right hates the fact that Disney World has some fairly pro-Gay policies, so they don't go to Disney World.

I don't always agree with their reasoning, but I certainly wouldn't care enough to drag it into a multi-page forum debate. It's a fundamental freedom that every consumer has.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You're right, it was the other person who claimed the scene was fictional. My apologies. However, I categorically deny that I have posted anything in this thread that has "made it personal."

When you approach a discussion with statements such as, "or you the only person in the world who believes," then this is making it personal, in my book. It certainly doesn't qualify as a constructive comment.

I really have said what I am going to say. You think Jobs is a terrible person and this is a good enough reason for you to not buy Apple products. I think that reasoning is weak, but you are entitled to it.

It does make me wonder what you are doing here, in a Mac forum, though.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
When you approach a discussion with statements such as, "or you the only person in the world who believes," then this is making it personal, in my book.

In my book, that's having very thin skin.

I really have said what I am going to say. You think Jobs is a terrible person and this is a good enough reason for you to not buy Apple products. I think that reasoning is weak, but you are entitled to it.

And there aren't any implied personal attacks in this quote? :rolleyes:

It does make me wonder what you are doing here, in a Mac forum, though.

I showed up before I had formed my opinions about Steve Jobs.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In my book, that's having very thin skin.

Whatever. All I can say is that you'll get nowhere useful by personalizing.

And there aren't any implied personal attacks in this quote? :rolleyes:

Certainly not. I'm saying that I don't find your reasoning persuasive. It is not a personal attack on you, not even an implied one, to disagree.

I showed up before I had formed my opinions about Steve Jobs.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't much matter any longer. This discussion has disappeared down a blind alley, from which I can see it probably will not return.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
the Piltdown Man lives!!!

What's really funny* is that I haven't believed a word of what I have typed following my initial post. I have been planning to purchase a Mac for some time, and the movie didn't change my mind (it did make me realize that Jobs is a thorough jerk, but it didn't seriously impact on my plans).

I just wanted to see how strong they mix the koolaid here at MacRumors. Apparently.... pretty darn thick. I figured I'd outlast you in this thread, but you win... I'd have to disembowel myself if I'm forced to post up any more responses to your Macin-washed chatter. I did enjoy the part where you got all indignant about my "personalization" of the debate while you were busy impugning my comments as mythological "weak reasoning" and suggesting I live in a cave. That was awesome!

Looking forward to getting my :apple:
peace out

*caveat: well.... it was funny to me

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
I loved the movie personally, i believe the general plot of the movie was true while there may have been some anonmalies in the plot it doesnt really matter, i enjoyed it and thats all thats important.

As for mac vs pc? i would rather buy a superior product than an inferior one as apposed to buying a product based on the companies CEO's character.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.