Pirates passes Matrix Reloaded on all time charts

Discussion in 'Community' started by Waluigi, Sep 7, 2003.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Very interesting indeed. But how come the original Matrix wasn't there!? That was one of the best movies ever!

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

My theory about the original Matrix being there is that it reaaly didn't have that great of a theatricla run. It cought on later like when the DVD came out.

P-Worm

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't remember it being *that* bigger hit on the big screen. The first one was not promoted anywhere near as much, and I for one didn't even see it @ the cinema. I got the DVD after having been told about it and got into it from there.

4. Waluigi thread starter macrumors 6502

The Matrix was the first 'must have' DVD. I haven't been as impressed with a DVD except for LOTR FOTR EE 4 disc set.

--Waluigi

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Matrix 1 had a very low-key advertising campaign.

6. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i saw matrix II once, and seen caribbian once, and want to see it at least once more soon.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm glad to see it. It's nice to see a long-shot movie like this breaking all sorts of records.

It's also nice to see that clever dialogue-writing and good stage presence and execution can be rewarded. The dialogue was, at times, much better than that to be found during a great deal of the two Matrices.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Even though the Matrix is a great movie, I'm liking Pirates a more myself. Pirates was fun, funny, entertaining and had great acting. The Matrix is a much darker movie - and that's always going to do worse at the box office than a fun movie.

But the key thing is what you'll remember 10, 20 years from now. I'm thinking the Matrix will still be part of our culture in a way that Pirates will never be. So I don't think it will matter all that much about who does better at the box office.....;)

D

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm very suprised.

Especially sense PotC looked so corny in the trailers. I still haven't seen it, I may see it this next weekend with a friend.

scem0

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Look at the all time list of movies - I'm still annoyed that Titanic is at the top ;):p

Pirates is worth seeing - I'm looking forward to getting it on DVD when it comes out - it was one of the better movies out this summer.

D

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The Matrix was the DVD that started the DVD revolution, before the Matrix there were not many DVDs that were worth getting a DVD player for.

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Re: Re: Pirates passes Matrix Reloaded on all time charts

Look, yours may be more accurate, but all of these lists tell a different story on what is being counted. U.S. only? Rentals? Videos bought? Different lists says different things.

I'm not trying to single you out, don't take me that way. I just want to point out that all of these lists are estimates in the first place and not as accurate as some would leave you to believe.

P-Worm

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wow, what I can't get over are the numbers of movies on the worldwide list that have:

Harrison Ford
    Tom Hanks
    Tom Cruise
    Mel Gibson

And the new big movie actor - Hugo Weaving (although not the main character)

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am glad to see a movie with no nudity and little foul language do so well in the theaters. I know I am getting old, but when cursing and nudity is thrown in just to get an R rating it pisses me off. I find the older I am getting the more I avoid R rated movies. If I want to see some naked women I get on-line. ;)

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Did you know he was the voice for Rex the Sheepdog in Babe - coming in at 166 on the list.

I wonder if there are any other sleepers on that list.....;)

D

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i think revolutions will do really good because everyone is confused out of their mind from seeing the the second one. only mtv movie awards gave the only easy explanation of the movie, thanks larry, creator of qubert.

iJon

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Maybe...

Although that cheap cliffhanger at the end killed any profundity that reloaded had.

"Oh, wow! The bad guy is really alive! Man, how do they think of these never-before-thought of plot twists?!"

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Coming up with unique ideas for a story is tough, but doable. The cinematic story telling, though, works on the same formulas everywhere. So even if the story is different, like the Matrix, the elements in telling the story tend to have common themes.

And especially with Hollywood endings - we all sort of know what's going to happen in the end, its getting there that's the fun part.

And of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but in this case not too many.

D

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Tell me about it! I hate that film!!!

21. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I am proud to say that I have yet to see Titanic.

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Same here, not many people are meant to have seen Titanic, it is just the people that did see it saw it many times. I remember reading somewhere that on average people went to see the film 5 times. While the record is 160 imes by a woman in AUS.

This is totally different for Lord of the rings (the first one) where most are only meant to have seen it once.

Also about the posted best selling films of all time, it is the US best selling list.

23. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I envy those of you who have not seen the Titanic.

24. airmac macrumors regular

Oh, give me a break!!! Titanic was the best thing ever happened since apple pie...:D

Just kidding...actually the Matrix *both parts* is in a technical way a masterpiece imo. The first DVD i ever bought.

I'm also a fan of both parts of Odysey.