pismo and third-party wireless cards...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackfox, Feb 7, 2006.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    OK, it is instances like this that tend to humble - as although I am pretty good with some tech-related stuff - I am a complete idiot with regards to the topic at hand. Here is my situation:

I have a Pismo laptop, running 10.2.8. After doing some (cursory) research on the web, I looked around for a 3rd party wireless card (G), which has better performance and price point than the original Airport Card.

I settled on the Linksys speedbooster card, which I had heard had the same chipset as Apple has used (is it broadcom?).

Having never used a wireless card on a laptop (cardbus or internal), I am not sure whether I have a card that does not work, or I merely do not have the appropriate corrolary software installed.

When I plug the card in, it powers up and in the taskbar there is a icon providing a drop-down menu - which says "unknown vendor", something else (i forgot), and an option to power off the card. The first two of the options are greyed out.

I assume this means the card is incompatible. Or am I missing something?

Anyone care to either (a) clarify my guess(es), or (b) provide me with a card that will work for me. I'd rather not be extorted for an original Airport Card if at all possible.

Thanks for any assistance.
  2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004