pismo and third-party wireless cards...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackfox, Feb 7, 2006.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OK, it is instances like this that tend to humble - as although I am pretty good with some tech-related stuff - I am a complete idiot with regards to the topic at hand. Here is my situation:

I have a Pismo laptop, running 10.2.8. After doing some (cursory) research on the web, I looked around for a 3rd party wireless card (G), which has better performance and price point than the original Airport Card.

I settled on the Linksys speedbooster card, which I had heard had the same chipset as Apple has used (is it broadcom?).

Having never used a wireless card on a laptop (cardbus or internal), I am not sure whether I have a card that does not work, or I merely do not have the appropriate corrolary software installed.

When I plug the card in, it powers up and in the taskbar there is a icon providing a drop-down menu - which says "unknown vendor", something else (i forgot), and an option to power off the card. The first two of the options are greyed out.

I assume this means the card is incompatible. Or am I missing something?

Anyone care to either (a) clarify my guess(es), or (b) provide me with a card that will work for me. I'd rather not be extorted for an original Airport Card if at all possible.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam