Pismo battery & memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dave00, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to squeeze some more life out of my Pismo for now. (Probably'll go for a desktop system to complement in near future.) Two questions:

(1) Anyone know where I can get a good Pismo battery? Mine seems to have died after 3 years of service.

(2) I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the memory. I've got the original 64MB in the bottom slot, and a 256MB in the top slot. Using OS 10.2. I'm not sure how to tell if I'm using alot of VM - if I was and it was slowing me down, I'd probably replace the bottom slot with a 512. But I don't want to pour more money into an aging machine if it won't do much good.

2. briang macrumors newbie

Pismo battery

The good news: Fry's Electronics claims to carry them (awaiting a shipment at my loical store). The bad news: ~$180 each :(

3. briang macrumors newbie

Mail order Pismo battery

Google helped me find Laptops for Less who sell them at $145, free shipping. The Google search string was "mac pismo battery", and it was the first sponsored link. The second link had them at $199+.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

5. jorisx macrumors newbie

I've got my Pismo with 192 mb of ram running 10.3 :) and I've been thinking about upgrading with a new battery and some more ram too, b'cause it's still a really cool machine!
    Other world Computing has a lot of nice upgrades for the pismo :)

6. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismo battery

I'm a little reluctant to use e-bay as a new battery is certainly quite different than a used battery. I *have* found several sites selling batteries, they come in the original 4800mAh and also some increased capacities, looks like around $140.

Still not sure on whether my 10.2 system is maxing out the 320MB memory - there are times when it sounds like there's alot of swapping with the HD, but I'm not sure how to tell if there's alot of pageouts otherwise.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: pismo battery

Just look for the sellers that have sold a ton of batteries and have loads of positive feedback. You may not end up with a brand-spanking-new battery, but it will probably hold a very decent charge. I guess it all depends on what you're willing to trade-off for a $60 savings.

I have the 'increased capacity' Pismo battery from Other World Computing ($139, http://eshop.macsales.com/). I am very happy with it -- getting around 4.5 hours per charge. Plus, the OWC people are very friendly and helpful.