Pismo Battery

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by epismo, Nov 7, 2004.

1. epismo macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I've spent a couple of hours reviewing previous posts, googling and reviewing Apple's site hoping to find a clue to my current dilema without success. My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

I have a Pismo(g3 powerbook) w/OS 9.2.2. Yesterday I let my battery run down as I do every couple of months and left it to charge overnight. When I started the computer it was still completely dead. The battery was performing just fine until I did this.

What I find curious is the charging icon up does not appear in the tool bar or command bar. This makes me think maybe something else is going on. I have tried the battery in both bays with the same result.

Do any of you wise Mac users have any thoughts that would shed some light on this problem?

Ed

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If the battery icon did not appear then maybe the battery didn't get charged. Could your charger have died?

On the newer PowerBooks/iBooks there are LEDs integrated onto the battery, where you press a button they light up to show you the battery power. (If 3/5 LEDs are lit, then you have between 60% and 80% battery power, if 5/5 LEDs are lit, then you have a full battery, etc.) Can you do that on the Pismo?

3. epismo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I was not completely clear in my description. I am charging the battery in the powerbook. The icon I am describing is the lightening bolt that appears on the battery icon in the tool bar. So bottom line it looks like the battery is not charging in the powerbook. Does this mean a bad battery or does it mean a problem with the powerbook. Unfortunately I don't have another battery to test this.

Ed

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

If you're having problems in both bays, it could be that the charge board is dead. It seems unlikely that the battery is to blame. Have a check on eBay. The charge board is one of the cheapest parts for a Pismo. It's cheaper than the battery, in fact.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Er, I mean that maybe the charger is bad, so when you plug it in it won't show the lightning bolt because there is no charge going in.

I would guess that it is the PowerBook or the Battery charger...