Pismo Fan Upgrade???????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umrdad, Jan 25, 2006.

1. umrdad macrumors member

Dec 13, 2005
    can anyone tell me if there's a fan upgrade for pismo? getting ready to install 550 g4 upgrade and 80 gb 7200 rpm hd . . . . . i'm guessing these will run hotter than the stock cpu/hd . . . . . figure might as well spend a few more $ to protect my investment if such things exist
  2. ChrisBoven macrumors member

Jan 24, 2006
    I would put the money towards a new computer. Pismos are done. Just my 2 cents.
  3. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

Dec 13, 2005
    only 2 cents?

i appreciate your reply chris but keep a few things in mind my total investment in this old pismo (antique in some circles) running 10.4 is still under $1000 now it has 550 g4, 80gb 7200 hd, 1gb ram, airport card, stock dvd rom, fdd, plus external firewire hd and cd/dvd burner also the best internet connection available at home is 56 k dial up so why should i spend at least $2000 for less? faster processor? keeping up w/the jones'? before is spend a lot of my hard earned after tax dollars i'm going to see how this new intel based mac stuff works out . . . . . but the original question was . . . .IS THERE A FAN UPGRADE FOR PISMO?
  4. forevermac.com macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2005
    Upgrading the Psimo

The pismo has one hell of a heat sink to it as it is and we have have had a number of units run perfectly well without their fans working properly. My imediate thought would eb that a fan upgrade is probably not necessary. Off the top of my head, I'd say that the fan is controlled by an internal cosre temp seonsor, so will come on when the powerbook processor hits a certain temp. On that basis, I don't think you'll need to fo a fan upgrade. Besides, it won't have much of an effect on the HD, only the processor. See inside your pismo and you'll see what I mean.

Hope that's some help.