Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Romain, Oct 17, 2001.
Will there be a PB pismo upgrade to G4?
Sonnet is rumored to be working on one.
Where did you hear form that?
Other rumors boards, like macnn.com (PB section). Someone there suggested that users email Sonnet regularly to keep requesting the product. Make rumor a reality!
I got a 500Mhz Pismo and it is a beauty. Today I went to a client's and we had to fix some add for hudge poster. I was planing to transfer the data to another computer (G4 460) but they didn't have the latest version of the soft, etc. So I took the mouse of the G4 and started using Illustrator 9 and I didn't realize how fast this computer really is on graphics. I use it for some midi stuff but not like this.
I guess my 500Mhz have a lot to give me yet. What I want to get is the internal CD burner and take it to the 512MB of ram in place of 256.
Yeah I just bougt myself a PB G3 400, I now it's not the fastest, but when it comes down to it, PC are just not there yet. The only thing is now with G4 at 600 and more, it can makes me want to have a G4 in my new machine.
I'm just wonderin if it's posible to upgrade, what is going to happen?
there is a G3 upgrade so...
There is a G3 upgrade card for OlderPower books so one would assume that a new G4 one would come out eventuly. They have to battle with apple and other related companys for the rights to do it I think and they need to wait longeuph that someone will see the need for an upgrade and buy it. Now would be a good time. The second rev of the TiBook is out and OS X is close to full swing. With a few more apps out, I will be able to use X with only dropping into classic rarly. But for now I use classic alot. OS X runs ok on G3's but not fantastic. Still slower than 9. My friend who has a 500 pismo is upset that for him to use X he must traid off some proformance. It runs great on my G4. There is a need and obviously a demand by looking at this forum. Someone wants one... so someone will make one soon... I hope.
Well spoken indeed.
Here some bad news
I'd send such a request to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can pass it along to the marketing and engineering folks.
However, I wouldn't hold your breath for this to happen. The G4 chip runs pretty hot and needs a bigger heatsink which is why Apple had to design a whole new motherboard and machine to get it to work. It simply may be impossible to add a G4 to an older machine without killing it.
Doesn't look to good to me.
My Pismo is just fine with what it has.
I now it's pretty good that way, but still a little G4 in there or a more powerfull G3 ( just talk with a guy at sonnet and it is more likly to get A G3 upgrade) wouldn't hurt.
Beside I wonder if there is a way of increasing the speed by over clocking.
I do hear rumors of...
There are rumors that Apple well have 1+ Ghz G3's out soon. Maybe the answer is a Fat Ass G3 upgrade.
I am about to buy a 500/20/256/DVD Pismo. It has the larger hard drive. Does anyone know if this update that they did on the pismo updated anything other than the HD from 12GB to 20GB? I have never found anything about that.
Also, would you guys say that $1500 was a good price for a machine like that? Now that the Ti2 is out, I am doubting my offer.
The good thing is that this one is still under warranty for 2 years.
Well, i think it is a little over priced now the new system or out. I bought myself a G3 400 Pismo, and I bite myself of not having waited the new ibook. The only thing which relawes me is there more chances to get an upgrade for pismo than the new Ibook, That I have to FireWire port, That I can put Ram in it, and that it has a bigger screen.
Re: Pismo 500
I would say save your mony and get an iBook. Your would get a better machine than the pismo... or at lest right now. Or save and get a TiBook. But those are at bit expensive. Have you looked arround for any older TiBooks, now that a new one just came out.. maybe you could get a deal. The iBook is a realy nice machine. My friend has a pismo and his wife has a iBook... he is jealous of her. The only thing is that the iBooks have a small screen. Just thought I would spout off some other options for you.
MacMall is having a sale on the last set of TiBooks. G4/400s are running for $1700. If you have the money now, Mike (I think that's his name) is selling his on macfixit.com (maybe it's xlr8yourmac.com). Either way, it's going for $1570 or so. Sorry my sites aren't reliable. I gotta run and take a physics midterm. ugh.
If it's not Broke Don't FIx It....
I've had my PB G3/400 for about a year now. It had served me well and will continue to do so. I've done a bunch of work on and it's paid for itself time over again. I've got 320 Megs of Ram and use Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, GoLive, and it works great! Yeah, a new faster machine would be nice, but Its not like my work is really suffering because I have an 'outdated' machine. I've got an airport card and I love the Zip expansion module. Don't get me wrong, I love the new Ti Book Revs. I think they're awsome. It's just hard to part with an old friend....
I went ahead and bought the Pismo 500/20Gb.. I paid the guy 1500 for it. I think it is a fair deal. This is the computer that just last year sold for $3000.. (3500??) anyway. With the 2 year warranty still left on it.. which would cost me $300 on a new Ti or iBook, and not available on a used Ti.. I think it was the best deal. I love having the option of a dual battery, or Zip, or CD/RW and DVD at the same time.. althought the VST CD/RW is only 4x and it's way too pricey! Anyway.. I think I willlike it.. I can't see how the iBook is a better machine. For the same price (1499) i could get the DVD iBook/600/15GB, Same graphics (8Mb 128 Bit Rage Ultra), but only 256k L2 vs. 1MB cache on the Pismo, and both with 100Mhz bus. I think the benchmarks would show that the Pismo is faster.. maybe just even it out, but we'll see. The biggest thing is that I wanted the DVD and with DVD, it hurts to have just a 12.1 screen.. That is the only thing keeping me from the iBook. Since they came out.. Plus, the ability to have 2 Optical drives, (like the current Dell 8100s) .. that is a really nice feature.. Burn CD's on the fly!
I was really close to the new 667 Ti, but Just knowing I can get 2 Pismos under warranty for the same price made my decision. I can use that extra money to buy the VST CD-RW,.. upgrade my Rev A iMac in a month or too to 500Mhz and Firwire (Sonnettech's Harmoni card) and then have money left in a few months to get a new G5!!! : ) Or at least a 1Ghz G3 iMac or something!
ps. I should get my new Pismo middle of next week!!!! I am very excited.. I am finally getting to use more than just my 233 iMac!
Still, I don't want to see my MAC getting old, it's an horible feeling, an upgraded processor would be really nice adition, or even better, a dual G3 or G4. I read that it could be possible. Imagine those poor PC, still trying to have more 512MB of ram.
Re: Pismo 500
Get it! Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Even I got mine with 9G HD for $1400 in Venezuela the Pismo is better than a iBook. You got the same ammount of ports, a bigger LCD, swapable slots, 1MB Cache (in place of 256k). And I think there is a 150$ kit to upgrad it to 1G ram.
You got a good deal for a serious computer.
May be the Pismo is a bit slow because of the hard drive, but it is superior than the iBook just in a 20% I would say. I got mine a month later the iBooks came out and I'm not regreat at all. Even I preffere the pismo rather than the TiBook. The TiBook is not expandible (even it has a nice LCD) and is away too much money. I have seen products like that that get discontinued very fast. The first generation TiBook won't be a clasic and in less a year from now are gonna be more difficult to sell than the Pismo, you will see, just because is not upgredable.
[Edited by mymemory on 10-22-2001 at 01:07 PM]
Very well spoken my new Pismo friend from Venezuela. I still haven't received it yet.. he had to wait for the funds to go through, but I am hoping for Wednesday... YEAH!!!
I did find from OWC (macsales.com) I can get lifetime warranty 1G of Ram for $130... ($65 for 512) now that is unbelievable!
I also found out that the RAM in my iMac 233 rev A is the same memory! how cool is that? that means I can swap if I ever needed too... I can take the 128 that's in the Pismo now and put it in the imac.... sounds like a winner to me!
Hey guys I was wondering if any as been able to make the iForce G4 upgrade work in a pismo? It was originaly made for the iMac, but the processor slot ar ethe same, than the PowerBook. http://www.powerlogix.com
is there a need for the mobile G4 replacement in a G3?
if so, then it makes sense
Well I use aplication for video which don't mine having a G4 to process. I send an Email to the tech support at powerlogix, and they told me that the upgrade would damage my powerbook, which means that it would feat in it! When ask them to elaborate why ( Is it a heat problem ) I got no answer. I'm very intrigue. Isn't true that the iMac architecture is the same than the power book?
Does anyone as some news about some Update for my Pismo?
I bought my Pismo from Ebay.
The guy I bought it from send to me by Express
Two Weeks after I'm thinking may be it got lost, so I call the shipping company, and they told me it still at the Custom House.
Now it will be two weeks it as been detained.
( Do you remenber an advertisment showing an X ray of a lugage and a customer officer pointing at what appear to be a non identifiable object. ( a PB for those who knows how they look like.))