Pismo just crapped out: help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by drastik, Oct 28, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

My psimo has just freaked out and now I'm stuck.

For the last couple of days, my Pismo has been acting eratically. It would magically go to sleep and then refure to wake up. Before I would have to unplug and reboot. Now it has done this just now, and I am looking at it: unplugged, battery out, and the sleep light is still pulsing. I clicked the battery light and it says its dead, but when its plugged in it sill won't start. Please help, I love this machine.:confused: :eek: :confused: :(

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that sounds really strange!

how old is your pismo laptop?

it may be time to get a new machine since repairing your pismo may cost more than it's currently worth assuming it's older than three years old

i hope someone on these threads can help you on this most unusual sounding problem

good luck though

3. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Its a 2000 model, the lst one before the TiBooks. My fondest hope is that it is just a cord problem, and that I can just get another cord. There's a lot of stuff in there I want, and a lot of stuff I don't want data recovery guys looking at.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

www.pbparts.com has alot of parts for the Pre-Ti Powerbook's Buy a new power cord if that dose not work buy a new battery(Not Avalible at the above URL) Etc..
    I really hope it is just an easy fix. for your sake. Good Luck

5. rebscb macrumors member

Please check you power cable and converter carefully. I have a pismo and have recently experienced EXACTLY your problem. I determined that it is the power cord by using another power cord from another G3 powerbook.

When the battery is so very low, it will not come out of sleep at all and this is due to no juice from the power cord. Let us know your results.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Jefhatfield: It is gonna be the first and last time I'm gonna tell you this I hope... "Do not talk so much BS!!!!"

The Pismo is the best deal out there, it is Apple big mistake just because it has every single port avalible, it is upgradable (Ram, Processor, Cache and even video ram). It has every single expansion port avalible too and you can find it for less than $1000. The only problem is that si a bit heavy. It is a better deal than getting a new powerbook and sometiems better deal than a Ti (spacially for the price).

I have 2 pismos, both second hand and if I can I would get a third one.

One of the pismos has and upgrade in the cache from L1 to L3 and it rocks big time.

Forget getting a new computer, you will never are gonna find another Apple product with so much live ahead. The only thing you can not change ina Pismo is the system buss, the weigth and the screen size, the rest can be changed.

7. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Al right!!!!

Thank Jah it was just the power cord, and our wonderfull reseller had one ready to go for me.
    Well, now I feel better.

MyMemory:
    Let me know about some of these upgrades you've done, I'd love to put some spark in it. L3 sound super nice too. I was thinking about the processor upgrade to G4, just hate to send the sucker off for two weeks.

But lay of Jeff, he's a good cat and I jive with his politics most of the time. I agree that the Pismo is still the best book, though I'd love a Ti too, just wouldn't ditch the Pismo for it.;)

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

been here forever and i know mymemory's posts could be like that so no worry

;)

i hope in the big picture, venezuela turns out ok on the political spectrum

just like mymemory believes in the pismo, i love my revision "a" ibook even though many think it's useless without a dvd or firewire

it still works like new three years later and even though it has taken a few bumps and has a few scratches and cracks, it's a durable little laptop and the toughest shell i have seen on any non-industrial laptop (of course, panasonic toughbook is stronger but made for outdoor field research, police, military, and construction)

9. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Note: after every step, press space to wake it up, or restart it, depending on the step, unless the step itself does one of those. I hope that sentence made sense. :)
    1. Plug it in.
    2. Move the battery to the other bay (if you can)
    3. Restart it (I'm assuming there was no document open... if there was... pray that AutoRecover got it).
    4. Reset it... there's a paperclip hole somewhere.
    5. repeat steps 1-4 in various combinations.

Good luck.

BTW, to correct the problem, it would be helpful to know some specs (OS, RAM especially)

10. g4pismo macrumors member

g4pismo

..big fan of the g4 upg. in my pismo.. what's this about video|ram upgrade.. I didn't thing those could be touched in a P.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Until you found that it was the power cable I was totally reminded of problems of Powerbooks of the past. Namely PowerManager problems. Often in the past when you had a problem like this you would reset the Power Manager and it would cure the problem.