Pismo RAM - I need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amc382, Dec 1, 2003.

1. amc382 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just got the screen on the pismo someone gave me working. Now I'd like to install Panther, but it has only 64 megs of RAM.

I guess that I need alot more, at least 256.

The problem is that while DDR is as cheap as dirt, the older SDRAM is expensive. It would cost me over $60 to buy that amount of memory.

Does anyone out there have an extra stick of 256 or 2 sticks of 128 they'd be willing to part with? I'm only a student, and can't afford to pay much; but I really need a computer and this pismo is all I have.

Thanks for any help in advance!

adam

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have 256mb of ram

You can try ramseeker

I have 2x128mb of ram that I removed from my pismo when I upgraded to 512mb. I would be willing to sell it if you want. But you might be able to find a good deal from the link I have listed. Trust me you want to max out the ram I would get one 256mb to begin with and later buy another 256mb when you have the money. I have heard that you can max it out above 512mb, check it out.......

Let me know if you are interested..

Nuc

3. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

The Pismo can have a max of 1 GB of RAM.

When I upgraded mine, I bought it from 18004memory, and if I remember correctly, got two 512 sticks for well under 200 dollars total. I wanna say in the 150 dollar range, but I'm not completely sure.

Trust me though, max the RAM out.

Lots of RAM + Panther + Pismo = Good Times™

enoch

4. amc382 thread starter macrumors regular

More questions, etc...

Nuc,

I've already checked that web site, the problem is still that they want $60 for the memory. How much would you be willing to see me yours for?

Thanks, Adam

Do you really think that there will be a huge difference between 256/512/1024 meg configurations? I doubt that I could afford $150, would 512 megs be enough?

Also, what the general performance on your pismo with panther? Being it only a G3 w/o QE, does it run decently? I have half a mind to just keep the OS9 installation already on because at least it's fast..

Adam

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I would put as much ram in as possible..

My pismo runs well with 512mb, but I bet the 1Gb would be even better. If your going to college I would spring for more ram. However I used this ram until I got out of college, and it worked for me. I wasn't using graphic intensive software though. I used MS office..maple..and various other engineering apps.

I am not sure as to what a good price would be, anyone know of a fair price. Or you can give me a price I'm flexible... I can give an educational discount ;) because I was there once myself.

These are the original 128mb ram that came with the computer made by samsung.

6. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Well, 512 is definately better than 256. I'd say, for sure, don't go under 512 at all. But, if you can find the right price, maybe get some extra cash somewhere, and get the 1 GB of RAM. You'll definately notice the difference.

Everything on my Pismo is as smooth as butter with Panther. Obviously, an animation here and there is gonna maybe skip a few frames every once and a while, but it's not really noticable. You don't get the fancy Fast User Switching effects either.

But, it's completely 100% usable and WAY better than under Jaguar. I do mostly Photoshop/Painter/Reason on it, and it doesn't really choke all that much. Just goes a tad slower than a G4. :)

enoch

7. amc382 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is cost...

The entire problem for me is cost... if I had it my way I'd just buy a new iBook G4... I've been looking at prices and I don't think I could upgrade to 512 megs for under $80 at the least.

I just couldn't afford that right now. So my only options are to get one stick of 256 with the possibility of future upgrades or 2 sticks of 128 for cheaper.

Nuc, would you be willing to sell me both for $20? That seems like a fair price for used 128 meg sticks...

Thanks, Adam

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc