Pismo won't play DVD's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JayDogg, Jun 26, 2003.

1. JayDogg macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook Pismo with a DVD drive that won't play DVD's. When I put a movie in the drive I can hear it spin, but it never seems to recognize the disc. I've tried opening it through DVD player, but it can't find it. It's like the machine doesn't realize there's a disc in the drive.

I've checked the drive and it says it's a DVD player, and I'm running Jaguar (10.2.6 I believe). Anyone have experience with this, or have any idea as to what the problem could be?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Have you tried ressetin' permissions? Maybe that has something to do with it.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Try the disks in other computers or a DVD player and see if it is the disks that are the problem. Also some older DVD drives do not support DVD writable formats. If CDs still work in the drive it should just be a software problem. I have a DVD that will not play in my PB G4 because it has too many scratches on it, but it will play on my less picky PC.

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Love it - something doesn't work, repair permissions. Thanks applemacdude. ;)

Anyway.

I had a Pismo with the same problems. I had to eject the whole DVD mechanism, and the FIRMLY reconnect it. It seems that the longer the system stayed on, it would "forget" that the drive was there.

Also, some of those DVD drives are notorious for just plain expiring... They just wear out after a few years. Sorry, I hope that's not the case with you.

I know MCE sells various expansion bay drives.

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Pismo won't play DVD's

does it work with a regular cd/cdr?
    my guess is that it'll work with a regular cd/cdrom, will work occasionally with cdr's and not with dvd's. If this is the case, then i'm afraid that your drive has died - a sad fact and it happens a lot :(

6. JayDogg thread starter macrumors newbie

It works perfectly with CD's and CD-R's. I've also tried resetting the permissions - didn't work. I've also tried numerous DVD's, including a brand new one, but no luck. It really seems like a software issue to me. Any other ideas?

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

get a cd lens cleaner, if that doesn't work then i would say that the drive's definately had it

8. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I had a pismo, My drive s**t the bed after about a year and a half. I went and bought a cd-rw for the expansion bay, that was more usefull to me than a dvd drive anyway.