Pismos is a Mac clasic?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, May 30, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I was talking with a very old friend today, actually he is one of the greatest venezuelan musicians. When I was about 14 I saw him on tv once and I said to myself "I want to be like him". Years later I started studies audio engineer and he was one of the teachers. Now, 7 years after my graduation we meet again and at list I can talk to him about things he doesn't know.

The thing is that he has a friend in the US who is one of the Apple designers (my teacher has lots of friend in California), and he told me that he saw the guy a month ago and he had a Pismo, he told him it was the best computer ever!

I know the Cube is a clasic and so on, but the Pismo is a clasic itself. Just imagine that if Firewire 2 come out I can use a PCMCA card and use it (I guess), I can exchange the processor, I can take it up to 1GB of Ram, etc. No other computer out there has such long life after almost 2 years.

Let me tell you that I'm so glad I sent that Cube back when some one wanted to exchange it for my Dual 500, just because I had the change to exchange that tower again for a brand new Pismo. I have so many ports in the back!!!

I just need a real super drive for mine and I think it may be around the corner.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Pismos is a Mac clasic?

You already can.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I agree

The Pismo was the best laptop ever built by apple. I can't find ONE flaw with it. Its not mine though, its my dads.

Its great, Airport reception kicks ass, the screen is wonderful. It can be upgraded, has swappable drive modules (i think thats way better then anything else).

I also think it was one of the best looking computers designed by apple ever also. It has sooo many ports too! It has the same ports that are on my PowerMac 500Mhz! Maybe a few more!

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

what about the 17 inch pb...thats a classic too or in a couple of years

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yes, its a great computer, but it isnt the computer the pismo was (is). The pismo today is still more expandable then the new apple laptops. It can run on dual batteries (about 7-8 hours of real battery time)

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

the 17'' is something everyone wants but no one can really afford. anyone can uby a pismo now for 500 bux, fix it up, and it is still the best laptop apple has made.

7. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

There is a super drive for the Pismo!!!!!!

I lost the link but there is one for $450 or so.

The 17" is good but I was talking about that with some other fiend and we came to the conclusion that it is "portable desktop computer". It is too big to carry around, it doesn't accomplish all the requirement of a real portable computer but still way too portable.

The best deal right now is the 12" with everything in it with a 17" or 20" LCD, that set up is more functional and cheaper than the 17" itself I think.

Men (and gals) we have so many toys to choose from :D

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I couldn't agree more! I did a ton of research before I switched last fall. I bought a cube and a pismo. Both machines work flawlessly, I spent about $1500 total, and the best part is that if I do decide to upgrade to the latest [insert rumor here] Mac, I can probably sell them for as much, or more, than I bought them for.:cool:

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*sigh*

I'm relatively new to the Mac world, and while people speak of the Pismo in many of the threads here, I still don't know what one looks like. :( Can somebody show me a pic of a Pismo so that I don't feel like such a doof?

Thanks in advance. ;)

10. nickfit macrumors member

Being an owner of a pismo for nearly three years, I could not agree more. I upgraded the ram and hard drive twice. Both operations only took a few minutes. I pack it in a messenger bag twice a day as a ride to and from work, and it still holds up. If only the Apple logo was the right side up when the lid is open, and they had designed a better way to keep on the little rubber feet, the machine would be perfect.

I must admit, though, I plan on upgrading soon. Need more video memory to play some games. I would keep the machine if I could, but will probably have to sell it to help cover the cost. But, as mentioned, at least they have great resale values.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Certainly, a pic of the pismo is attached to this message :)

The pismo ranged in speed from 233mhz G3 to a 500mhz G3. They had bays for up to two optical drives, or a 2nd battery. The Pismo is largely considered the best apple laptop ever made, because you can also buy G4 upgrade cards for the laptop, making it usable well past its once thought life span.

-tazo

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Not quite.

Actually, the Pismo was the last generation of G3 Powerbook and came in 400 and 500mhz versions. One of the main and most obvious differences between it and earlier G3 Powerbooks (wallstreet, lombard) was the addition of 2 firewire ports.

If you're looking to buy one, make sure it has at least a 400mhz processor and two firewire ports, otherwise it's not a Pismo.

Here's some additional info:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_400_fw.html

13. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

They actually could only hold one optical drive, but the 2nd bay could handle many other options as well.

My personal opinion is that the Pismo is a great computer (arguably the best Apple laptop ever made relative to time), but will eventually become a relic of the past. It is crippled by a 100MHz system bus, an 8MB Rage 128 GPU (no QE, which really helps graphics performance) and what will eventually become limited RAM expansion. While you may be able to put a 500MHz G4 in it, that chip is already looking long in the tooth. Like all laptops, it is not built to handle the latest and greatest 4 years down the road.

Still an awesome machine, though. Wish I had one to go along with my iBook.

14. merges macrumors member

One thing to remember is that Pismos (and the other late-model black PowerBooks) were not as solidly built as the newer PowerBooks, the iBooks, or even older (1xx-series and Duo 2xx series) PowerBooks.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, mine is 3 years old and, besides the rubber feet coming off the bottom (easily replaced), I haven't had a single problem with the Pismo. You think the TiBooks are more solid? They're very easily dented and scratched. What *specifically* is less solid about the Pismo?

16. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Sure people can afford them. That's how they're selling them.

I could order one right now if I really wanted, but I don't need/want a 17" laptop right now.

Not all the world has the same debt problems/obsessions as American TV would have you believe.

17. merges macrumors member

The plastics on Pismos crack relatively easily; the body flexes significantly; the battery and optical drive bays have loose fits compared to the newer products.

They're still excellent computers, but the newer (and older) PowerBooks (and iBooks) are more solid. Scratches and dents are annoying, indeed, but a minor price to pay for improved durability.

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, as I haven't experienced any flexing, cracking, or loose batteries or drives, I'm not sure I can concede your point. In any event, I don't think durability is really an issue when comparing the Pismo with newer Powerbooks and iBooks.

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

:rolleyes: not many people can afford to spend 3500+ on a laptop like the 17''.

20. joscobo macrumors newbie

Love my Pismo

I purchased my Pismo and could not be happier. I have not noticed it feels flimsy or not as solid as other PowerBooks. After 4 years I am still very much attached to this computer. The only reason I would be thinking of an upgrade is for speed and a better graphics card. I really think after other PowerBooks come and go the Pismo will be in demand. Its looks, performance, ports and upgradeability make it a great choice.

21. regio67 macrumors newbie

How much to upgrade?

The pismo ranged in speed from 233mhz G3 to a 500mhz G3. They had bays for up to two optical drives, or a 2nd battery. The Pismo is largely considered the best apple laptop ever made, because you can also buy G4 upgrade cards for the laptop, making it usable well past its once thought life span.

If I wanted to upgrade my pismo today to a G4, how much do you guys think it would cost? Reading this column makes me very happy, I didn't know the pismo was such a valued laptop...I have to say, I love mine and I think its the best purchase I've done.

"The top paragraph is a copy of Tazo's comment above."

22. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: How much to upgrade?

The Newer Technology G4/500 upgrade for the Pismo costs $289 from Other World Computing.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=4728&Item=NWTNPG4P500

23. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Has anyone tried to upgrade the video board on a Pismo?

My bro-in-law has a dead Pismo that im considering doing some Frankenstein work on it.. i haven't tried fixing it yet, but he said it was nearly perfect when it died. A local tech told him LB is probably bad, and at that time it was more logical to get an ibook than to replace the LB.

I haven't opened it up yet, but i've seen photos of the rage128 that's inside. Im wondering if it's possible to obtain another (pref Radeon) video board from..lets say an 2002'ish ibook, hack the port openings if need be.

24. regio67 macrumors newbie

Upgrade for Pismo!

Thanks for your input Flowbee!

25. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

What about the Wallstreet. The second G3 powerbook (after Kanga but it was short lived) with a radically new enclosure compared to previous powerbooks. It had dual hot-swappable modules and dvd capabilities. My wallstreet is beginning to feel lonely with all of this Pismo talk.:(