Pissed at CompUSA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjamindaines, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I've had it with their crap, every single thing I have EVER bought there has had some kind of problem with it. For example both card readers (two different brands) have died on me, the first one just locked up my USB ports when I tired to use it or kernal paniced my computer, now this one is running slower than USB 1.0. It's running at about 20kb/s which is ******** for a USB 2 card reader. I'm getting really tired of this ******** if CompUSA was a person I would stab a pen through their heart.

/Vent

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

CompUSA as a store has nothing to do with the quality control used by the manufacturer of the product you bought. You had an equal chance of buying one that would die at any store...not just CompUSA...you just had bad luck. :(

3. iMetroid macrumors member

ITASOR's right. Blame it on the manufacturer, not CompUSA. The only way it would be Comp's fault is if they were too rough with the cargo, but I seriously doubt that.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

5. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Maybe - but CompUSA and all other retailers have to demand high quality merchandise and take care of it (when stocking shelves, shipping, etc,) in order to maintain a good rep.

Benjamindaines- it's crap when this happens, but did you try to work it out with CompUSA or the manufacturer? If not - then that's a good place to vent too. Better luck next time!

6. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I don't know... I'm convinced they just put things back on the shelf that people return, I've gotten things that are scratched or scuffed a few times.

7. danidoll521 macrumors regular

While I completely believe you and have had bad experiences with stores in the past, I have never had any problems with CompUSA. They have always been good to me. Sorry to hear that yours have been a good.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

CompUSSR may not be at fault this time, but they still are horrid

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I can understand the vent since you've had bad luck with CompUSA, but it is the manufacturer you should have issues with. I've had nothing but good experiences with them (CompUSA) and have bought everything from two external HDs to Motion off the shelf with narry a problem.

Early on, I did buy a pack of Memorex CDs which turned in to coasters, but that's because the product is crap. So, the all important question: Did you buy the warranty coverage? If so, you'll need to take faulty items up with the manufacterer.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've had good and bad experiences with compusa. The only bad product was this crap laptop cooling pad where it broke within the month, haven't returned it though, I'm too "busy" to do that :p.

11. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I've bought quite a few things at CompUSA, they all worked fine.

Bad Luck.

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Hahaha. Explain all the Windows machines they sell. ;)

The exception being IBM/Lenovo notebooks.

13. ToddW macrumors 6502a

the last time i was at comp usa those i couldn't walk three feet without someone asking me if i needed help with anything. even the apple rep, not he usual one, was asking me crap. not talking to me about macs and other stuff like the usual apple rep. i was kind of pissed.

14. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The CompUSA here in Omaha has to compete with Nebraska Furniture Mart which probably outsells them 5:1 in electronics and Best Buy which is a national chain.

I like going there because nobody shops there, there's no help (I can screw around with the Mac's all I want) and its close to school. Usually I just go to CompUSA to find what I like then go buy it online for cheaper.

15. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

All I know is that Compusa has a problem and that is why they are all closing down. I used to love them, but once I had bought a 12" powerbook, a used one though, that got damaged in shipping, they were about the only ones that do work here, the apple store pretty much said I needed a complete replacement and apple isn't much for repairs, just replacement. It was insured for $1000 dollars, apples replacement was 1200 for a new powerbook.

At first, Compusa gave me a quote for 300 for a new bottom enclosure. They were about to close so it wasn't a good look that it received, I came back the next day to have them look at it some more, the said what they did was because they were nice, if I wanted them to look at it some more, it would be $75 for the estimate. From just looking at it you could tell it needed a keyboard also. Then the told me they had already ordered the parts and sent them back because I never showed up for the replacement. This was 18 hours after my first visit. On a Saturday.

How did they order the replacement part Friday night, and ship them back Saturday morning? And then tell me this Saturday afternoon? I don't take to be lied to too well, I made quite a scene that day. They called the police. Before they had the courtesy to ask me to leave.

2 months later, that Compusa closed down. Good riddance.

16. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I still shop at CompUSA but I always find it funny that the Apple hardware and software section always seems to be getting smaller and smaller year after year. At the going rate, the Apple section will be inside the Janitors closet, next to the Pinesol.