Pissed Of Switcher - Wheres My Mac Stevo Jobs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

ok
    So i just switched. I had a horrible Dell that kept crashing and finally decided to buy me a mac. Put my order in for the 17 inch powerbook G4 with 1 gig ram. heres my porblem. Why in the hell is it gonna take 3 months for it to get here???????????????????????? i took a chance on apple and dished out nearly $5000 on the PB and some software and the least they could do is deliver it in a timley efficient manner. i know im getting a good machine, but 3 months is an insane wait. if they seriously expect people to switch and also wait for 1/4 year before they get there computer they got another thing coming. this is no way to do buisness. max delivery time should be 2 weeks. my god...i may have had my problems with dell but atleast they got me the computer on time....i had a computer to bitch about but apple doesnt even do that much.

and another thing. i called the apple store to check why it was taking so damn long and ive never heard from anyone as rude and aragont as the assclown who answered the phone. theres no excuse for crap like this.

i know alot of people who've ordered the 17in PB's are pretty pissed that our comp's havent got here.

seriously considering switching my ass back to Dell. Atleast i had a computer....a crappy one no doubt...but it was less then 1/2 the price i paid for this and it showed up 5 days after i ordered it.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cancel your order,find the nearest apple store and walk in and say you want one now! 3 months is bull,3 more months and they will have a newer one out.

3. nanosound macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't think Apple is enticing switchers who have to wait a very long time, nor the regular Apple users. But they do this every year. Last year it was the imac that people had to wait for. It is very frustrating to say the least. Why does Apple do this?

4. dricci macrumors 6502a

My guess is they're still setting up the factory for mass production of them.

Why'd you place an order if you knew you'd have to wait 3 months? I'm pretty sure they tell you somewhere before you check out.

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i placed it online
    and at the time it said i should be getting mine within 5 weeks max

that was bad enough
    but to have it pushed back to "on or before 4/25" is crazy

god...and its not just APPLE who i blame for making me feel this way

its Aspyr for making Medal of Honor: AA and having it at my doorstep 2 days after i ordered it.....making me have a wicked game with no mac to play it on

but also Arlo Rose who releases Konfabulator while i dont have a mac
    god damn it...and all these awsome applications that i want to use but i cant because Apple pushed back my delivery date

im soooo frustrated...its like teasing a crack head with drugs...its soo unfair...so very unfair

god i just wanna take that private jet of stevo jobs and stick it in his bung hole

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Wow- Not meaning to flame, but was this an impulse buy. Moving from a Dell to a 5k$ machine is a big jump.

Look, those that need the 17inch will wait those that can’t wont.

Cancel your order, and decide what you need. I would hope that you would purchase a Mac, but it might not be the computer for you.

Maybe Apple is not for you. From my perspective, for my mobile needs I have permanently switched to Apple. I burnt through 9 laptops before learning that reliability and robustness are important to me, and Apples hardware and OS provide that.

What do you do for a living? Perhaps these members could help you in your decision.

Take a look at the Win-Tel boards. Every time a new chipset comes out, a new motherboard, or sound card people complain about the timing of the product announcement and the actual product release. Apple is not so different.

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i work at the CDC in atlanta
    basically research..aging..aids..cancer...any immuno based diseases

we have a PM G4 there but i wanted a laptop forever
    im not gonna buy another lap top

this ones for me
    ive already named her (appy)

now. dont tell me i wasted the last 3 hours thinking of a name for no reason

:D

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Look, I don’t love Dell, though their customer service for corporate orders is great. Their price for bricks is reasonable, and I can’t complain about that. My whole office would change to Mac if we could, but we can’t. We run specialized applications that we must use for the next decade, and we have office machines that we have shelled a lot of money out for.

But here’s the truth. No one computer fits everybody’s needs.

I have a WordPad Pro that I use on my adventures. It runs off 4AA’s, is text based and rugged as hell. After a bus I was in sunk into a river in Cambodia, I wiped it off and it is good to go. (Ok, I did clean it) I would never risk my iBook on a track into a land with no stable power sources.

Gaming consuls, answering machines, scientific calculators, and media players can all be run on one computer, but may be more useful as separate devices.

I’m glad you have cash to burn, but what are your needs? If you’re a LAN gamer, who has to have access to 99% of all games the day they are released, then Apple is definitely not for you.

I don’t blame you for being pissed. We are westerners, bound to the credo of instant gratification. Look at it this way. You can buy a new Vanquish and have to wait 2 to 5 years for your car to arrive. Why? It’s a niche manufacture that aspires to deliver a fast, quality machine with impeccable design qualities.

What do you do for the CDC? I just had a friend go to NIH and 2 go to the CDC. Your good at what you do if you work there? The competition is though.

9. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

As a general rule, don't post the same topic in two forums... we don't much like spam here. Just a thought.

10. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know
    Im not really mad..im just very frustrated

the 17alu book was supposed to be my new toy
    supposed to make all the ppl at work ooh'n'ahh when i bring it out
    lol

i work on a series of projects for the CDC
    mainly with immunological disorders but i also jointly on cancer research as well as influenza

im ok at what i do i guess?

whats your friends name?
    do you know what his specialty is?

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

They wouldn't be to pleased if I posted their names.
    As far as their (a him and a her) specialties. I believe one's specialty was protean synthesis (specifically in yeast), and the other was a biophysicist, and I don't know what her specialty is.

I do know that competition for jobs or research positions is very competitive. Add the background checks and you must and the interviewing process and most people would never of applied.

Not to be a police officer, but why did you post this thread in two different forums? You started with the same post. At the top of each forum is a posting by Arn, reminding the community of its obligations. This wastes hd space, bandwidth, and peoples time.

Link to Arn's post
    A link to the other thread on this same subject.

12. giovanni macrumors regular

serious troubles

you know, I just posted a similar message to yours (somewhat shorter) and I will tell you more: I have no doubts Apple has already lost several switchers, it simply cannot be otherwise, it is just the way it is. I may add that I would not be surprised if even some old Apple users like us, did themselves switch to windows facing such a pathetic situation at Apple.

I mean, I could possibly understand if it were the case that we are waiting for a new (I mean new like in NEW) machine. But hey, it is just an old G4 ! I mean I guess when Apple will, some day it shall, announce a new computer, lets call it the G5 whatever that is: what will it take to deliver it to customers ?

13. Bateman macrumors member

There really isn't much they could do about it tho....

I mean, they of course wanted to release it with the 12" at macworld, and they already had the commercials filmed (mini me and yao) for who knows how long. And their time limit isn't yet up. I believe they stated 5 to 7 weeks when it came out.... when people bought they knew what they were getting into... True? That time has yet to expire, we can complain about it being late once its late.

It comes down to this... would you like an apple product that has been rushed because of the minority of people who couldn't wait for the machine to be perfected, or would you like to own a machine that is a worthy investment and has had all the pre-release problems ironed out?

I know a wait is hard but it will be well worth it for those who can wait....

14. StevenFW macrumors newbie

There are many points being made here that are prudent...Yes, we want problem free computers delivered in a timely fashion...but let's look at some facts here....they release it at MW for obvious reasons....they promise that it will be available in February, however, many people are being told March or April! Now, whether you are a switcher or not, the facts are the facts, and Apple has not kept their promise...OK, but not a big deal IF, IF, IF they at least gave some idea as to why the delay....people become infuriated because EVERYTHING from Apple has to be cloaked in secrecy, to the point that one has to scour the web to find out about rumors as to why it might be delayed....I think it behooves Apple, at least a little bit, to give people an idea as to why it is delayed....because when they don't, you're left in the dark wondering why you have to wait a quarter of one year (and hey, that is a long time) to hand over more than 3,000 dollars....I too have been waiting patiently for the Powerbook 17", and for me the wait is excrutiating...but for me, it has more to do with something that not too many people have mentioned, and that is the fact that this is Apple's M.O. FOREVER.....the supply/demand issue has been going on since I've been buying Apple products, almost 9 years....they are always way behind, or they have 12 weeks of inventory on hand....you would think that a billion dollar company would have fixed this a long time ago....my feeling is, especially since they said that they are not going to time big releases for MWs anymore, DON'T ANNOUNCE IT UNLESS IT'S READY, or close to being ready....and I guarantee, after all this, the computer will have flaws until revison whatever....as good as the computers are, and yes, no one else can touch Apple quality, they are NOT Honda Accords....they never get it right with the first model...just look at the original TiPB...we all talk about how good it is, but start listing the problems that were there up until the 11/02 Superdrive relase, and you will be listing at least 5-10 MAJOR problems....please don't get me wrong, I will be with Apple forever, I just want to show one side to this...and back to the main issue-if you are coming from the Dell camp, while you will be infinitely happier leaving the Wintel crap, I must agree that coming over and then waiting has to be painful, to say the least...

15. LosJackal macrumors member

You are being unrealistic if you think a company can ALWAYS wait until a product is (almost) ready to announce it. Look at Microsoft...they just "announced" they'll add Exchange support into Entourage, but it won't be "released" until the summer. That's the software industry. New startup companies announce their products maybe a year or more before they're readily available. Hardware peripherals often announce a few months ahead of time, like a new CD burner technology. Same with eletronics, and many other industries.

So let's talk about this specific product, the 17" PowerBook. It is the culmination of the innovation Apple has been doing over the past year. Contrary to a previous post, it is a completely new machine:
    1) Widescreen 17" in a laptop with a new backlight
    2) New anodized aluminum case
    3) New keyboard with backlighting and ambient light sensors
    4) Airport Extreme
    5) Built-in Bluetooth
    6) Firewire 800
    7) DDR RAM
    8) New motherboard to run it all

You can certainly bet Apple needs to announce this at a major event like MWSF.

So why couldn't they have it ready to deliver after MWSF? I personally don't know. But there are reasons that could explain it....
    a) don't ramp up production yet to preserve secrecy
    b) don't know market reaction to it yet
    c) don't know how many to manufacture to begin with
    d) needed release of 10.2.4
    e) needed release of iLife

All in all, 7-10 weeks isn't an unreasonable time frame to have all of that come together. Contrary to some opinion, there are no delays yet. Apple said "in February" and 7-10 weeks from the date of ordering. We haven't passed that mark yet.

16. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Firstly, Apple never lies about the ETA on machines;

Secondly, It will take longer because you are getting a CTO on a constrained item;

Thirdly, if you could not wait you should not have placed an order because the AppleStore tells you how long it will take;

Forthly, your machine will NOT take until April, it will be with you in March, despite what Apple tracking tells you. First shipments of that machine are in March and they are usually very quick to fill backorders.

17. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

god i hope your right

this wait makes me feel like a crack head waiting for his next hit

god damnit
    why do they tease me like this? why?
    make me fall in love with mac..and then..and then just not put out?

its high school all over again!!

:mad:

18. giovanni macrumors regular

come on dudes, lets be serious. How could you say "..better wait and have a good product than have something rushed to our door...". Or the other dude saying idiotic non sense like "a wait is tough but..." - you are only excused if you are in kindergarden, are you ?. Please think !!! People try to plan things, did you realize that ? people got work to do with their computers , did you realize that ???? And if Apple says 3-5 days to ship, people plan on that, of course, with a margin, but noone would think that Apple could go from a few days to more than a month !!!
    Pretty f****g simple, ain't it ?
    Moreover, I will say it again, these new macs are just plain old G4s, nothing like wow, the technology is so new, I could understand delays.

boh !

19. giovanni macrumors regular

madamimadam you are so greatly wrong !
    As I said in my prior post, Apple does lie (you called lying): many people who ordered the new PMs, including myself, had shipping dates postponed several times (CTOs, yes). So I am not sure what on earth you are dreaming of. Get it ?

20. humantech macrumors member

Well....

I hate to say this, but when the powerbooks were announced, they said they wouldnt be available until sometime in march - that could be march first- could be march 31st--- Currently, it is still mid february - I would wait until you see yours before you worry much more- Stay in the que- if you ordered early, you will get early- Apple seems to be getting into the habit of underpromising on shipping times lately---

21. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

You fool... Apple NEVER said 3-5 days for the 17", ETA is 5-7 weeks even now. Saying that, if you have had an order in for a while it will NOT be 5-7 more weeks but it is that long if you put an order in today.

In the PC they release new products before making them available for sale. In the Mac world they make them available for sale when they release them acknologing that you will not receive the item for a while. Same thing except Apple gets the funds up front.

22. Bateman macrumors member

Personally I believe that these computers are much more than the "plain old G4" processor in them....

apparently the significance of this event is lost on some people...

undoubtedly people will be reviewing these as something more than "plain old laptops"

23. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

As per humantech, Apple has ALWAYS said March.... if you have had an order in for a while and they are telling you April than Apple needs to repair bugs in their system because they start shipping in EARLY March.

Get a grip man... your world is not ending. Really, though, you should NEVER EVER CTO unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Not only does it take longer but Apple's CTO pricing is WAY out. Esp. with RAM, it is WAY cheaper to upgrade to 1GB (if you did this) by getting a 512MB (2 stick) machine, selling the 2x 256MB and buying 2x 512MB from an Apple Reseller. That way, you get Apple RAM with Apple warranty but you get it MUCH MUCH cheaper.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its gonna be ok man, the wait will be worth it. apple said it will ship middle of febuary. its about that time now and like other people said apple stores have gotten them to show. we dont want you to go back to dell. just be calm and wait, this product has been out barely a month and is brand new. i have two macs, if you want to you can come to my house and play medal of honor. or if you want to play something better than that sissy MOH ill set you down at my pc so you can play a little battlefield. but dont worry, your computer will be there soon.

iJon

25. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Too right... and people should at least do some realise that ALL 1GHz Machines are constained. So, YAY, they might be a "JUST" a 1GHz machine but those processors are constrained.

How about you ask Apple to ship you your PowerBook with no processor.... DICKHEAD