1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Just bought a dual 2.7 Ghz Pmac. got it about two dayts ago. I am still eledgable for the save 100 dollars, but im mad becase now they are giving out the free ipods. I called them up and askd them whether i could get the rebate or not and they were no help solving my problbem. Im really pissed because i got the TOP OF THE ;line Model and i cant even get the discount! besides that, the computer isnt even fast (at all really!) It takes it 50 seconds to boot, it is ALWAYS freezing and crashing and it is just slow! Im really mad, and they dont even have ANY return policy! Its a shame, i really expected more frrom apple. Besides that, the computer is LOUD, i think it is abnormally loud because the hard drive make a really irregular sound like it is going to crash any second. Im really really really disappointed and wish i had never switched to apple! :mad: :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

well if you're that mad with it, i'm be happy to take it off of your hands for a nominal fee

but seriously they do have a return policy 14 days i think for a 10% restocking fee though if the computer is crashing all the time if you talk to them they'll probably give you another one since it looks like yours is a dud

3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Call the Applecare center and tell them about the hard drive only. They will probably ask you to reship the machine or bring it to the nearest AppleCenter. They should take care of it. For the speed and load time, it's probably the Hard drive that have a problem, maybe that's why it getting so slow. For the discount, sorry, but they can legally say no, since you buy it before the deal appear, and when you buy it, it was a good deal since you buy it, nobody can predict the future, I know it sad.

4. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Urg...it is sad...however, i would be even more upset if they had updated the product line...(just looking at the positives... :) ) SO, I really dont want to drive all the way to one of those stores, they're really far. The closest one is about 50 miles away! Isnt there anyway that they can just send me a new HD?

Maybe i will switch back when longhorn comes out and see how it is...

5. Brian0523 macrumors member

Ok now you're being just stupid. Call Apple and get your problem fixed. Ship the computer back to them, drive to an Apple store, but don't accept a $2K computer that's not up to standards.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why don't you make your external HD bootable and see if that solves your problems?

7. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

They have both a return policy (unless BTO) AND a policy to fix any defective item or a DOA policy if you had problems right out of the box - all three are listed on the link below. You'll also find the link on the bottom of the apple store pages.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

If you purchased from re-seller, their polices will apply (and may be the better 30-day).

8. SuperVillain macrumors newbie

Damn, im in the same boat man.
    It sucks that we spent over 2 grand on thier machine and get nothing. i cant return it cuz i installed programs on it.
    :( :( :(
    I could have really used that ipod too. :(

9. ksz macrumors 68000

pianodude,

Ignore the annoying posts from annoying people and just focus on what you need to do. You should not feel that you're stuck with a lemon. The computer has a warranty even if the store has no return policy. Make use of that warranty through Apple. Take it to an Apple store for diagnosis.

10. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Apple also has a policy of giving you recent discounts

From the same link I posted above on the return and repair policies. Apple will give you the new price within 10 days of shipment. Here's the policy from the Apple web site:

"PRICES
    The Apple Store endeavors to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products and selected Sale and Apple Certified Reconditioned products. Your total order price will include the price of the product (on the day of shipping) plus any applicable sales tax and shipping charges. Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment."

11. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Where did you buy it

Also - you say the place you purchased it from has no return policy - the apple store does, and other online places that I've used do. You also note that they're not honorning Apple's price matching policy. I'm wondering where you purchased the machine from?

12. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Something is clearly wrong here - I have a brand new Dual 2.0, takes about 40 seconds to display the menubar from a cold restart, and makes no noise I can detect.

Lots of crashes and drive noise suggests a REAL problem. I first suggest you repair the drive & permissions with disk utility (probably have to use the version on the installer disk to do that properly - restart with the disc in the drive while holding down the C key and when you get to the installer look under the file menu (I think) and you will see the disk utility).

Maybe then also download the latest version of Cocktail and run that, it fixes many cache issues and generally sorts stuff out, but I expect in the end you will need to send this sucker back. Noisy drive sounds suspect as hell to me.

Also, how much RAM does it have. I have 2.5GB in mine. Runs a LOT faster with extra 2Gb than with the default 512.

The Dual 2.7 is a really great machine. It was a good buying decision. Once its running sweet, I'm sure you'll never look back. But don't settle for less than the best!!!

13. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

yeah... where you bought it from is pretty important. if it is a technical issue, they should give you an exchange..

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Actually, if Apple was promoting really pyramid schemes then we wouldn't be banning Apple, but banning links to Apple and posts asking others to make purchases from Apple. That might reduce the number of posts around here quite signficantly! Luckily, students can get their iPods through Apple's latest offer without having to get other people to sign up too! :)

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your sig says you have 4 Gb RAM. Presumably this is not all Apple RAM. What RAM is it, specifically?
    What happens if you remove half of the RAM and remove all of your third party peripherals? Or put the original Apple RAM back in?
    What happens when you boot from the OSX CD and run Disk Utility from the menu at the top and do a Repair on the hard drive?
    What does the SMART status on the hard drive say when you are in Disk Utility?
    Have you done a Repair Permissions from the Disk Utility software (Macintosh HD: Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility)?
    Have you run an Apple Hardware Test from the CD that may have come with your machine?
    Did you get it with the Apple stock hard drive?
    Where exactly did you buy this machine if they don't honour Apple's price protection policies?

Cover the bases before you complain, you'll get a better reaction from the MR people who are willing to help.

50 seconds to boot - what's wrong with that?? C'mon, it takes my P4 WinXP machine at least 5 minutes of disk thrashing before I can launch anything.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

haha and pay them $75 if nothing is wrong? i love apple hardware and the OS but the applecare has got to be the worst warranty out there. i had overheating problems with my powerbook and they told me if they diagnosed it and there wasn't a problem i would owe them $75.....WTF kinda warranty is that? shoot dell would just not even bother and send you a new laptop with no problem. i was left just figuring it out on my own what was wrong with my machine, the mac genius didn't know anything. also had a few bad experiences with apple since i switched in feb and not very happy with the service.

i originally bought an ibook from macmall.com i received it and it was OBVIOUSLY used so they said they don't do returns. the only option was to get another one from them and i basically had to talk to the manager several times to even convince him to let me get another one shipped to me. so i decided to upgrade to the PB. so that experience and me being left to figure out what is wrong with my machine is another. so i understand where pianodude is coming from. if you're not happy with a machine when u first get it u want to return it.....that's how i am. so far i haven't been impressed with the service whatsoever. machines and OS are great but the service needs revamping.

18. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

i have had really good experiences with AppleCare, actually, and not the one you pay for, the 1 year included... i have had machines replaced and upgraded, all with free overnight shipping...

once you can show/convince Apple that it was/is them that are in the wrong, they provide excellent service and are quite accomodating, imo.

19. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Since you have looked at some positives, I would also join the others in suggesting that you call Apple support and explain the hard drive issue to them. They should take care of it.

We can empathize with you for having to deal with a lousy piece after paying such a huge price for it, but you have a choice in the matter. I'd be jumping around if I had bought the top of the line machine! :) So be proud of your purchase and get it repaired/replaced. I'm sure you'll be a lot happier with the machine (working well) than without it. :)

As for the discount, if you're unable to get a price match, I guess you just have to accept it. I guess this is a risk anyone takes unless they order the product within a week of its announcement. Don't let that spoil your experience of using the machine. You have bought an awesome configuration and you ought to be extremely happy about it (once the problems are resolved). :)

Good luck in your pursuit of support - I hope you're served well. :)

20. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this something that requires a lot of effort to convince them? Are they generally too pushy and try to throw the issue back at the customer? I'm asking this out of curiosity.

[I know I'd fight tooth and nail if I had a serious problem, but knowing what one's up against helps]

21. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

in my experience, it always helps to stay calm and try and explain to them the problem as efficently as possible. if it is something that you *know* is not your fault, then be calm, and continually ask for a supervisor until they let you speak to one, they are generally more forgiving.

in my experience like a year ago, i had a rev. b 12" pb with white spots on it, and they refused to fix it, saying that the 12" pb didnt have the issue, only the 15" did... but i talked to a supervisor, remained calm, and got the issue resolved.

i guess sometimes it can be a crapshoot, or depend on the mood of the person you are talking to that day, but i've never had any negative experiences... at least no negative outcomes.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dunno if i'd say that spending $2k got you nothing. I'm pretty sure you got a computer out of it.

23. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I do agree on the "being calm" part - works better when one is initiating the communication. No point antagonizing a support person while trying to make a point initially (when it's not their personal fault either).

24. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

When you custom order the computer you are not able to return it. Also, i called them and tried getting the discount but they were implacable. I asked them about the price matching policy, but the PRICE of the machine stayed the same....its just the offers changed....kindof a leupoll (sp)

25. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

i forgot to change my sig...the apple tech support guy suggested i take the 3rd party ram out...which i did, so now im left with 1gig apple brand ram. It is running even SLOWER. I bought it on apple's online USA store. He also suggested i do a clean install of the OS, although i dont knkow how that will help with the weird clicking (not the normal clicking) that the optical drive and the odd electric sound the hard drive makes.....50 seconds is a considerably long time to boot for a 3.5k machine...